Grohe Smartcontrol concealed thermo mixer issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

my contractor has just a few more things to finish off on a new bathroom we’ve had fitted. He left today and showed me the grohe smartcontrol concealed mixer was installed and working (https://pro.grohe.com/uk/34498/show...roduct=29149-G460&color=000&material=29149000). However the temp setting looked all the way to the left (hot end of the scale) and when I switched on an outlet it was approx 30C. It was late and he left saying nothing much could be done and it was due to the mixer so I took the trim off and dismantled the unit as far as I could without turning off the water and can see the issue: The mixer adjustment knob could barely go any more anti-clockwise - about 10 degrees rotation until it stops and the water becomes scolding hot but any clockwise rotation (about 20 degrees off that limit) it is already extremely cold. The knob can rotate at least another 2 complete rotations clockwise but obviously it just stays very cold.

I have a combi boiler (vail ecotec plus 831 I think) and very high mains water pressure (I live in a 4th floor flat and it’s pumped)- last plumber that tried to measure it got very wet and said it was off the scale. I have a different concealed thermo shower mixer in my other bathroom that works perfectly and didn’t expect this to be different. I want the middle setting to be 38 as recommended- my other mixer can handle it why not this one?

Could I do with a pressure reduction valve? Or is uneven hot/cold pressures? Or could it be a faulty valve?

thanks a lot

James

Sponsored Links
Might be piped up incorrectly (crossed connections).

Check with grohe to see if the system supply is within the design parameters of the product.

Thanks I checked the connections. Hot and cold are the correct way around.

I will email Grohe and ask about my system compatibility. I assume at that point, my mixer could be faulty?

Sponsored Links
Just to follow up on this, I realised my problem: I had Grohe ‭29149000‬ which is a manual mixer and I needed/wanted a Grohe 29126000 which has the “GROHE TurboStat compact cartridge
with wax thermoelement”

Fitted the new one today (thanks next day Amazon prime) and it works perfectly. An expensive mistake. Thanks for the replies.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back