Grohe Tap Tails issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a Grohe Kitchen tap. The description states 1/2" BSP tails but measuring across the connector they're 7/8". I'm struggling to find a male connector from a 15mm pipe, any suggestions please? Really helpful guy in local Screwfix was stumped.

Sponsored Links
The nominal size of BSP threads bears little relation to the actual measurements.

Sponsored Links
They're definitely not 3/8" I'll have to visit a plumb merchant I think. I'n replacing a Franke tap that has different sized tails which has caused the issue.

Which Grohe tap model from which supplier?
The specs may tell all... ;)

Reactions: CBW
Can you post a photo of the tails in question?

Have you got any isolation valves on the supply pipes to tap ? The thread will be 1/2 inch BSP on your new tap tails. The thread size has nowt to do with the diameter.

The Grohe install leaflet has both 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch mentioned.... The leaflet has a vague 24mm (? the across flats of the nut?) on one diagram.

https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/ambi-two-handle-sink-mixer-1-2-30189000.html only mentions the 1/2 inch and an adapter for 'continental use'.

Pics of the Franke tails and pipe connections plus the Grohe as well would likely be of some help - with a ruler for scale, perhaps?

The 1/2" BSP fit thanks (should have believed the spec!). Anyway thats sorted and will use the push fit on both sides which will make for easier fitting as I can attach them to the tails before fitting them and save messing with spanners in a confined space.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
To expand on my earlier comment, my understanding is that BSP sizes were based on old-fassioned iron pipes. Such pipes were measured by a nominal internal diameter and the thread was cut into the outside of the pipe. So the actual size is a lot bigger than the nominal size.

1/2 inch BSP is the same size as the compression nuts on 15mm compression fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back