Ground floor cable routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys and Gals,

Just had a bit of a brain wave while my head was under the floor trying to track down my illusive incoming water main and thus the shut off tap.

Under our ground floor we have a space from the bottom of the joists of about 8 inch before the ground...

Instead of drilling holes through the joists at the recommended position as per part p would it be possible to clip the cables to the underside of the joists and thus avoid reducing the strength of the joist by drilling more holes in it?

I hope someone says its ok, it will save loads of time and should be just as safe!!

Needless to say I will still have to drill the joists on the first floor for lighting circuit and upstairs ring.

Any advice is as always much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
yes no problems doing that.. why drill if you don't have to..
as long as the cables are kept off the dirt then you're fine..

yes no problems doing that.. why drill if you don't have to..
as long as the cables are kept off the dirt then you're fine..

Wooooooo!!

Saved me loads of time and elbow pain!! Can't believe I hadn't thought about it before.

Thanks ColJack.

Got another question, but i'll put it in another thread once I figure out picture uploading!

Sounds o.K. to me, much better than the normally usually encountered situation of a mish-mash of cables having previously been slung directly on the earth / Rubble under suspended timber ground floors

Sponsored Links
if you've a lot of cables to get from one area to another ( for example a couple of ring mains etc ) then you could use drain pipe ( 40mm white stuff ) clipped to the underside of the joists ( every 3rd one should suffice ) to save clipping multiple cables to every joist..

if you've a lot of cables to get from one area to another ( for example a couple of ring mains etc ) then you could use drain pipe ( 40mm white stuff ) clipped to the underside of the joists ( every 3rd one should suffice ) to save clipping multiple cables to every joist..

I like that idea, thanks!!

Sounds o.K. to me, much better than the normally usually encountered situation of a mish-mash of cables having previously been slung directly on the earth / Rubble under suspended timber ground floors

Thats what I'm trying to get away from. It should all be new and modern wiring by a week on saturday!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back