Ground screw timber frame below ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've got a groundscrew foundation which was laid by a company with a timber frame above ground level however we quickly realised upon completion that it was significantly higher than we had hoped due to the ground in the garden sloping and the frame being deeper than we had thought it would be. We're trying to keep within permitted development and as the structure we're adding is 2.49m tall the only option we've come up with is to remove the frame and dig down the appropriate amount to allow the frame to sink sub ground level. I have allowed a decent gap around all the sides and we have allowed for a ground gap under the timbers but my concern is whether we need to install any damp proof membrane under the timber or any drainage options. We are right under some very large trees (the reason for the ground screws) which will probably help with drainage and I was thinking perhaps mulch or stones would help deal any water that gets underneath but I can't really see much info about sub ground timber frames even if they're floating so just wondering if anyone has any experience in this area?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi! I am facing the same issue (but not had it installed yet). What did you do in the end? Did you dig out? what did you have to do? Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back