Grout cracking between tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help me, I have been getting a new bathroom put in. Old tiles were taken off the wall and tiles (250 X 400) were placed on top of the uneven brick, the finish was terrible and I complained. The company agreed to remove the tiles and placed 9mm ply on the wall, the finish looks much better but the grout is cracking between the tiles - some of the tiles are moving when you press on them. What is causing this problem? - can the grout just be touched over or does is the only option for the tiles to be corrected for a third time?

This company also damaged the bath when correcting the tile. Can I ask for them to replace the bath?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Regardless of what the problem is; you've paid for a job to be done and it's not right. Get them back in and if they've damaged your bath then they should replace it or offer some form of recompense.

If the grout between the tiles is cracking, and the tiles themselves move when you push on them, then they are not fixed securely to the ply, (coming loose) and any water, say from a shower will over time get in behind the tiles. There is no point in re-grouting, because any new grout will go the same way, The tiles need to removed and the job done again properly,(3rd time). Tiles fixed onto ply should be fixed with a "powder flexible tile cement", and the grout must be a "flexible" powder grout. The sheet of ply should also be firmly fixed to the wall so that there is no movement in the ply itself, and should be "external" WBP ply (weather, boil-proof) quality. As gcol says, any damage caused to the bath etc, by a firm/company in the process of removing/replacing tiles, then they would be liable.

Roughcaster.

Thank you for the info - I am speaking with the co tomorrow and now have an idea of what should be said!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the question is asked "what do you actually want?" Tell them you want the wall dot and dabbing in plasterboard. You then want to them to tank the plasterboard around the shower area and then re-tile using a flexible powdered adhesive and grout.

Invited Co round for further inspection. They claimed there was no problem and that a simple re-grout would suffice, and that there was no tile movement at all.

Going to get some independent advise as my confidence in this answer is low.

Do not pay for any aspect of the job until there is an agreement on the damaged bath and the tiles have been made good,lay out your concerns in the form of a letter,also find out if they are insured.
Send the letter via recorded delivery.
Are they a reputable firm or a couple of cowboys with their horses outside?

only a guess but any tiler tiling onto a brick wall then taking it of to fit 9 mm ply will have a horse outside

I can't understand why on earth they didn't just dot and dab it in the first place :eek: ,what they saved in plasterboard etc it must have cost them in tile adhesive to true up the wall and time.

Tiling onto 9mm plywood? I don't think so.

Do not pay this company, and do not allow them anywhere near your house again.

They've had a chance to put things right, and have failed miserably, and caused further damage in the process.

If you move the tiles, then either they're not effectively stuck, or the substrate is moving. Either way the job has to be done again.

How you play it is up to you, but you could pull the tiles off yourself, then get someone else in to do the preparation and tiling, and do it properly, meanwhile claiming the bath damage from the first company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back