GRP Flat Roof System ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am eager to get into this as a few of my customers are asking about it. I will put my cards on the table here and admit I know very little about this system , I have seen it used only the once but have looked it up on the net and after doing some research , I might start taking it on as it looks a good system ? Is there anyone that can give me a few pointer in the cost etc ? I have worked with the rubber EPDM for a couple of years now and to be fair I don't like it although I will fit it if required. I am a oldskool roofer, But you have to move on with the times so is this the new way forward using this GRP ?

I have noticed it is a bit pricey which might put customers off.

All replies are much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What version? although they are all ****e....imho.

What version? although they are all s***te....imho.

Excuse my ignorance but how many versions are there ? And why do you think thy are all sh*te have you plenty experience in this field ?

Like I have said this is a new type of roofing system from what I am used to .

Sponsored Links
have you plenty experience in this field ?

There was a massive push in the 80's with it, we then spent most of the 90's correcting schools/office block/hospitals etc putting a decent roof on. It cannot handle expansion/contraction for as many years as claimed, so it died off. There is now a resurgence of Liquid systems etc due to cold applied, although they forget to mention the fume aspect. I had a complete office block in Watford walk out because of fumes from Liquid Plastics, we then had to install it at night.

Now i understand that the domestic market is different to the commercial,but the commercial market enforces standards, thats why GRP is rarely used.

As with Rubber roofs, the roof is only as good as the welding agent, and its resistance to UV rays.

We are looking at a large rubber roof in Reigate next week, its failed after 6 years....material or labour failure? we don't yet know, but its getting more common.

Probably why i prefer felt, not much to touch it really.

FulwellCross001.jpg

Have a look at the video here by a ***** roofing firm. :LOL: They have overdecked all the existing damage, and put the (non vapour permeable) GRP over the top, so, what happens next? the roof structure rots out underneath it, seen it many times.

Nice scaffold they've used as well :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back