Grrrrrrr. Who knew mitreing was this difficult?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

At the risk of sounding very blonde and pink - I need some help with basic mitreing.

I understand the principles of it, have a steady hand so no trouble with the cutting but somehow, even using the mitre block etc they still are nowhere near close to fitting together. I think it is something to do with what I am trying to mitre.... It is 9mm quadrant beading that will sit on top of my tiles in the kitchen.

Do these have to be done a special way or something? Where am I going wrong??

Thanks for any constructive advice,
Rachel

Sponsored Links
Hi rachel, i feel your pain. Tried umpteen times to get coving right.. Got myself one of these magic mitre things http://www.magicmitre.co.uk/. Made this job a lot easier and a lot less frustrating.

Thanks for your reply, I've had a look at it and it looks good. Its an expensive piece of kit if it doesn't work though, so promise me it does, lol!?

Does it cope with rounded quadrant beads not just flat backed wood?

Thanks in advance
Rachel

A mitre block and saw is ok to get something about the right size, but next you need a mitre trimmer or a shooting board.

The magicmitre gadget isn't expensive, but someone else will have to give you an opinion as I've not seen one. You can pay around £100 for a good mitre saw which will cut almost all sizes, then the same again for a trimmer. Sawing gets most of the way, but you need a sharp edge to get dead smooth edges.

Sponsored Links
RachandGarry said:
Thanks for your reply, I've had a look at it and it looks good. Its an expensive piece of kit if it doesn't work though, so promise me it does, lol!?

Does it cope with rounded quadrant beads not just flat backed wood?

Thanks in advance
Rachel

The instructions say that any other materials would need "packing" to ensure that the run of the material is straight and that the angle remains as it has been set. So to answer your question, yes, as long as you place it accuratly on the cutting surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back