Grub screw Removal Tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After painting the bathroom and removing all towels rails, soap tray etc. all which are connected by grub screws, I was unable to remove a couple of screws as the tops have became 'threaded' by excessive use of the allen key. Is there a tool that I could insert into the grub screw enough to enable me to remove and replace the screws?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Drill it with a small bit, then use a slightly larger bit in reverse.
Tap it to shock it, bit of WD40 etc. Probably too small but could try a torx bit.

Hi Deluks,

I've got some metal drill bits that should be small enough, I'll give that a try,

Thanks!

Before you drill them, are you using ball-ended or straight ended allen keys?

The reason I ask is that ball ended keys, while convenient, come into contact with only a small part of the depth of the key hole in a grub screw. This can result in the hole getting rounded off - but only in the places the ball touches. Cheap ball-end keys can also wear quite easily which makes the problem even worse.

In this situation an allen key without a ball-end -inserted full depth and even tapped in lightly with a hammer - can often get enough purchase to remove them.

Sponsored Links
Try to hammer in a torx bit. Usually works on rounded allen bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back