Grumble grumble part P/plumbers grumble....

baldersj said:
:eek: Where do I start?
At the very beginning? That's a very good place to start.

OK, the Part P comment was supposed to refer to the Plumber/sparks carrying our uncertified work to a poor standard, not the 17th edition. I'm not confused, more BEMUSED.
Leaving aside 17th edition, which doesn't exist yet, you wrote the following:
A plumber (who is NIC and Trustmark registered...
I don't understand how someone you say is registered is also someone who you say carried out uncertified work. I also don't understand why you describe as incompetent some work, without having seen it, that was carried out by someone who as registered as being competent. It's natural that you'd want to protect the interests of a family member, but criticising someone you've never met, for work you've never seen, isn't very rational.

Re the regs, OSG pg.59 and reg 601-08-01 should cover it, as its not a SELV socket outlet.
If I can find a copy of that regulation then I'll read it, but in the meantime perhaps you can say why you believe it has to be an SELV socket outlet when it's installed under a bath and behind a panel.

How did he become registered? its my guess his FIRM is registered, not necessarily him (sorry if I didnt make that clear in the post)
Well you haven't made it any more clear now. The value of a guess is roughly zero. IMHO, it's more likely that you want him to be unregistered so that you can sling some mud at him.

I think there is definitely something to put right :rolleyes:
I don't know why you're rolling your eyes - you're the one who wants to 'correct' something that you haven't yet seen, that you haven't yet explained why you think is unsafe and/or illegal.

And "my guess" was referring to whether or not it was fit for purpose. Its a figure of speech. I definitely 100% think its not. ;)
It's a figure of speech generally used to describe an off-the-shelf product that is sold to someone on the basis of it fulfilling the need that they have. I don't yet see how a socket outlet that is safely providing the correct voltage and current to suit a rated pump is not fit for that purpose. If anything on this topic deserves the accompanyment of some rolling eyes, it's the indisputable fact that the spot under the centre of a bath (when behind a panel) is about the dryest place in any bathroom.

Sponsored Links
You're right, the 17th doesn't exist yet. I was merely speculating on the possible changes which have been discussed here and elsewhere for a good while now. Silly me.

why do you find it so hard to believe that someone who is registered to carry out electrical work to support their primary trade (i.e. plumber) would cut corners by not giving a certificate for their (albeit minor) electrical work?

601-08-01 "...outside Zones 1,2 & 3 there shall be no socket outlet other than SELV socket outlets or shaver supply units..."

I don't WANT him to be anything other than competent. No mud slinging, just a bit of annoyance...

OK, I'll wait until I see the work. You win.

Anyway, I'm half cut and Jaws is on telly, so I hope we can agree to disagree :cool:

baldersj said:
You're right, the 17th doesn't exist yet. I was merely speculating on the possible changes which have been discussed here and elsewhere for a good while now. Silly me.
At risk of appearing to be just argumentative for the sake of it, I have to disagree that you were being silly - maybe just slightly blinkered for a moment.

why do you find it so hard to believe that someone who is registered to carry out electrical work to support their primary trade (i.e. plumber) would cut corners by not giving a certificate for their (albeit minor) electrical work?
I can accept that some people do that, but I hadn't realised that this person had, so if I missed it then I apologise.

601-08-01 "...outside Zones 1,2 & 3 there shall be no socket outlet other than SELV socket outlets or shaver supply units..."
OK - I see your point. I would argue that under a bath and behind a panel is outside the area defined as being related to zones. I interpret the phrase "outside zones 1, 2 and 3" as meaning outside the zones but in an open area inside the bathroom. For example, on the wall opposite the bath/shower in a very big room.

I don't WANT him to be anything other than competent. No mud slinging, just a bit of annoyance...

OK, I'll wait until I see the work. You win.
This wasn't a contest, just my desire to see accurate comment and fair play. I do understand the annoyance, and I'm not saying that I wouldn't feel the same in your position - my sister lives alone, abroad, and I would spontaneously ignite if I found out that she'd been ripped off.

Anyway, I'm half cut and Jaws is on telly, so I hope we can agree to disagree :cool:
I have no problem with that. If my freeview signal was any cop during bad weather then I suspect I'd be watching it too. Enjoy. :)

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
OK - I see your point. I would argue that under a bath and behind a panel is outside the area defined as being related to zones. I interpret the phrase "outside zones 1, 2 and 3" as meaning outside the zones but in an open area inside the bathroom. For example, on the wall opposite the bath/shower in a very big room.

That seems appropriate to me also. Also I don't see how the area under a bath accessible with a tool is any more dangerous or less accessible environment than the unswitched socket behind a washing machine.

Events can occur all over the home presipitating water in the accessories. I see this most weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back