GRUNDIG TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started off by turning itself to standby every now and then. Now, for the first 10 - 15 mins of use (until it's 'warmed up') the screen intermittently flicks and rolls and then goes to standby!

Is it worth pursuing a repair?

Sponsored Links
Yes, sounds like a dry joint or caps in the power supply are drying out, in which case, I would estimate a cost of £45-65.

do you hear a ticking sound as the picture flickers?

Sponsored Links
That is most likely then internally to be the HT(High Tension) lead from the HT transformer to the CRT( Cathode Ray Tube)that is arcing with a loose connection 9 times out of 10 you can cure it by pushing the lead firmly into place.
As there are High Voltages concerned even after switching off i'd recommend you ask someone experienced in repairing TV's to take a look. it shouldn't be an expensive job as it's relatively simple to rectify so don't allow yourself to be ripped off.
If it is the 1 out of 10 more serious problem say the HT transformer is arcing/breaking down internally then a replacement transformer will be needed so ask for an estimate first.
Although it sounds silly, the old method of a good sharp thump on the top of the set (an engineers cure during the days of valve sets)can actually work so it's worth a try.

My Grunding TV has exactly the same problem. If you bang it on the top it temporarily sorts out so I am suspecting a dry joint.

We moved it from the living room to the basement for a while, the movement seemed to sort it.

Now its in my bedroom and its started doing it again, so I'd suspect a dry joint or something. Grundig TVs give a great picture, but are just so unreliable in my experience.

Yep, a thump on the top cures it for a while, and I now have developed an instinct that tells me where to thump it and how hard each time the picture rolls up depending on how far it rolls up, how flickery and 'bandy' it goes, etc. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back