GU10 Bulbs - Halogen or LED?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted some spotlights recently in the kitchen and not happy with the shadows they create. I've got 6 in a room sized 3x3.5m. The bulbs I have are 36 degree 50W GU10 mains.

I have seen some LED versions on the net made up of SMD's which I know are bright but has anyone here used them or offer me some advice please?

Sponsored Links
The shadows are caused by the design of the light fittings. The type of lamp fitted will make little difference.

They are called 'spotlights' for a reason.

CFLs will give a much better beam angle. But far better would be a fitting designed for PL lamps. I have 52 watts worth in my kitchen, plenty of light, no shadows. Far better illumination than 400 watts of halogen.

Sponsored Links
The shadows are caused by the design of the light fittings. The type of lamp fitted will make little difference.

They are called 'spotlights' for a reason.

Not necessarily - I replaced 5x 50W halogen GU10s with these LED bulbs in my 2.4x2m bathroom...

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u1042ww-gu10-wide-angle-warm-white-p-2248.html

Before I had a shadow line about 18" around the top of the wall, but with these 120 degree beam angle LEDs, the shadow line is only around 6" down the wall, and so much more diffuse and gradual that it's hard to notice and totally inoffensive. Overall lighting of the room is much more diffuse and even. The warm white colour is close to the halogens, and in fact I prefer it now and find halogens too yellow! Brightness is a little less than the halogens but still illuminates the room fine - the old halogens were a little too much to be honest. With the bigger room and only one more fitting, the OP might be better considering the 5W version on that site which wasn't available when I bought my 4W ones. One of mine came with two dead LEDs but I couldn't be bothered to get it replaced. The fact the rest still work indicates they are connected individually in a parallel array which is good. Very happy with them. 250W ==> 20W and nicer lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back