GU10 kitchen lights keep popping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year one and all!

So in this spirit of resolutions and finally getting round to jobs, can anyone advise on what to do about my kitchen lights?

Basically, I tried to replace the "fat" GU10s on the left (which have nearly all blown within about 2 years) with the LEDs on the right in this picture:
View media item 87513
But the keep popping out again:
View media item 87514
They don't have the metal clips that go across the front of the bulb, instead there are these clips inside:
View media item 87515
Any ideas what I can do about this? Can you even still buy the "fat" bulbs at a reasonable price any more? Or can I do something to stop the newer style LEDs slipping out of the fitting?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Obviously because of the shape of the new lamps they are not going to be held by the clasps.

I would suggest you unscrew and remove the clasps and obtain some spring clips. They will probably hold by friction even without a groove in the fitting.

These
21AMTcJ%2BMYL._SL500_SR100,100_.jpg

may fit in the screw holes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voltage-Mains-Retaining-Spring-Rings/dp/B0085VKA6K/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

They look like they are specifically designed to accept the compact fluorescent lamps hence it is probably going to be easier to replace the fittings.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both - I didn't have any luck using those clips (I already had something similar in another fitting in my house so was able to try it out before buying).

So instead I've done this with sellotape, and elastic band and some packaging material:
View media item 87543
I'm assuming the foam won't be flammable and with it being LEDs they won't get hot anyway.... feel free to shoot me down if I've just installed something really dangerous.

and with it being LEDs they won't get hot anyway.....
The drivers in LED lamps and the LED elements themselves do create some heat which is dissipated through the body of the lamp and into the air around the lamp. This dissipation will not happen if the body of the lamp is wrapped in insulation and then the inside temperature of the lamp will increase. LED elements degrade with heat.

They still get hot, though not as hot as a normal filament lamp.
It looks like you have destroyed the airflow around the lamp needed by the heat sink to dissipate the heat.
As I said before, new fittings are the only real way forward. Screwfix do them for not that much money.

Beaten by Bernard :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back