GU10 lights remote control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've got 16 gu10 down lights fitted in the lounge, all off one switch.
There are also four wall lights connected on another switch (240w max). Both switches go to a two gang switch.

I want to remote control both sets of lights so that I can switch them on/off at the push of a button (dimming would be nice) but I cannot find a 1000w remote dimmer (2 gang) anywhere?

Do they exist?
If not, could I replace all 16 lamps with LED ones instead? If so, which ones do you recommend and where do you suggest I buy? There are loads of websites selling them but can't tell what's good and what to avoid.

Any tips greatfully received.

shr.

Sponsored Links
however, 16 x £31.60 is £505.60

You will make that in utilities in a couple of years (dependant on usage) but it's a big initial outlay

30 pounds each!!??

Is that because they are dimmable?
Presumbably non dimable is alot cheaper?

What sort of light do these give out (in comparison to standard gu10)?
I've read a lot of reviews suggesting the light level of these things are rubbish.

Sponsored Links
As with everything, you get what you pay for, I had some 7W Philips and they were honestly, a lot brighter than a 50W halogen with a much wider spread of light.

The only reason I got rid of them was that I went a really bright white and changed down to a cheaper non-dimmable Philips 4W, which I would say is similar to a 30W halogen.

Non dimmable is a lot cheaper yea, if you browse through the lamps on the LAUK site, you will see the price range for Philips lamps.

If you're going to bother moving from halogen to LED, there is no point buying nasty lamps as you won't be impressed

If you're willing to go for '35w' lamps, your options become much more varied

http://www.laukgroup.com/lighting-products/lamp/led-lighting/master-ledspotmv-d-4-35w-gu10-wh-40d/

I believe is dimmable, but don't quote me on that.

Your best bet would be to give them a call and tell them what you want to achieve and see what they recommend. They have always gone out of their way to help me with lamp / fitting queries

Thanks for that, most useful.

So you've used this company and can recommend them then?

I'll give them a call and see what they suggest.

Many thanks.

shr.

I fit quite a lot of 5W LEDs these days. I'd say they're about as bright as a 35W halogen, and I pay around £10 each for loxa branded lamps which seem pretty good to me. For 50W equivalent you need 7W or 8W. There are loads of cheap lamps about and they're useless. You gets what you pays for.

I prefer to use warm white lamps which give off light which looks more like your traditional light bulb, rather than white or cool white which can be quite a harsh light.

Hi All,
I've got 16 gu10 down lights fitted in the lounge,
I only need 2 lights for my lounge - yours must be the size of an aircraft carrier.

I want to remote control both sets of lights so that I can switch them on/off at the push of a button (dimming would be nice) but I cannot find a 1000w remote dimmer (2 gang) anywhere?
Look at DALI or DMX-512 systems - 1kW dimmer packs are no problem, and you can get remote controls.

But those systems don't do anything about the fact that you can't really dim halogen lights - it shortens their lives.

If not, could I replace all 16 lamps with LED ones instead? If so, which ones do you recommend and where do you suggest I buy? There are loads of websites selling them but can't tell what's good and what to avoid.

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/led-grid-dimmers-update-and-help.335498/#2496820

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back