GU10 testing adaptor (inc. other types)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
p4768184_x.jpg

From the site:
Accessory for fast and safe testing of loop impedance, and R1 and R2 testing of lighting circuits.

and

Simple to use: (1) Unscrew Light Fitting; (2) Plug in Lightmate; (3) Connect Tester

If the light terminations have to be accessible what is the point of using an adaptor? :confused:

Sponsored Links
They can make testing a bit simpler when standing up a set of steps. Means you test probe to L or N can then be done handsfree.

I considered buying a set myself, but at that time, there were about IIRC £60 for the set. I'll wait a while.....

Or buy an old fashioned bayonet plug ( which I am told are still used in Australia ) two 4 mm banana plugs and some heat shrink.

Sponsored Links
In the link, if he pulled the fitting down a little bit more there is plenty of space to use a normal pair of test leads.

They are useless on class II fittings

However, when used on Class I fittings, one probe into the adapter and ther other to the metal of fitting and you can get your R1+R2. Especially usefull on a PIR where you don't want to dismantle.

For initial verification I would not bother

But it would be perfect for Class II fittings.

What? :rolleyes:

I can see them being useful for EFL - earth probe/crock to the metal case, screw etc, and the live to which ever terminal happens to become live.

USELESS on double insulated!

I've had a couple for a while now, and I think they're absoloutly brilliant.

How many times have you gone to do a loop test at a ceiling rose, and struggled to hold a test probe on live, one on neutral, one on earth and then making sure they dont touch, try and press the go button on your tester?

Not with these jobbies.

Plug in the adaptor, plug L&N into the adaptor, then all you need to do is hold one test probe onto earth and press go.

They really do make life easier.

Also they're good for loop testing / R1+R2 testing class 1 fittings without dismantling.

And if you put banana plugs on the end of your kettle lead, you can always find somewhere to boil it. Even in public buildings ;)

How many times have you gone to do a loop test at a ceiling rose, and struggled to hold a test probe on live, one on neutral, one on earth and then making sure they dont touch, try and press the go button on your tester?

Never, since standing on top of a ladder with both hands in close proximity to live parts is neither safe or necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back