GU10 versus MR16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking at these and can't see why anyone would fit MR16 spots over GU10. They require a transformer which costs more plus there's more wiring to do.

I'm going to buy one of them in an LED version

Is there a benefit of going for MR16 or is GU10 a no brainer?

Sponsored Links
Just looking at these and can't see why anyone would fit MR16 spots over GU10. They require a transformer which costs more plus there's more wiring to do.
I agree.
Ok.
Is there a benefit of going for MR16 or GU10 which cost more plus there's more wiring to do or is a proper light a no brainer?

Just my opinion.

It would depend on if you use quartz halogen or not as MR16 only has an advantage with quartz halogen. And even then it depends on what the voltage is like in your area.

Assuming nothing silly like a dimmer is used then the inverter will control the voltage with MR16 lamps so quartz halogen are brighter but not too bright so they burn out.

Where local voltage is stable the likely the GU10 will work just as well. But where the voltage fluctuates then the MR16 will work better.

However MR16 will not work with cold cathode lamps and has no build in system to stop Dichroic (GZ10) from being fitted in holders not designed for Dichroic (GU10) so the GU10 is better for fire prevention than MR16.

Sponsored Links
Hmm.

Is there a benefit in going for candle-shaped lamps over screw-in ones?
Is this
220px-Compact-Fluorescent-Bulb.jpg
what is meant by a screw bulb. I think spiral-type better describes it.
Do candle lamps produce a far superior light over bayonet cap ones?
To compare the light from a paraffin wax candle with a lamp using a bayonet does seem a little odd lamps similar to these
270375_10150693179790063_570000062_19274902_7410889_n.jpg
often did use a bayonet type spigot and because of the elevation compared with a candle then the answer must be "NO" the bayonet lamp gives off a better spread of light to the candle.

Gu10 lamps can be the same as Mr 16 lamps
Mr 16 is just a 2 inch diameter multi faceted reflector lamp

Mr16 lamps can be mains, 12 volt or other voltages

Then you would struggle to find an Mr16 one of those it proberly dont exist

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back