'Guarantees'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, i know this isn't exactly DIY, but there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.
I really do like DIY, and try to do what I can myself. However, I paid someone to install a bathroom last year, and there have been a few problems. The work is 'guaranteed' for a year, but if a tradesman just won't come out (many phone calls, many excuses, many days waiting in for me etc), what does a guarantee actually mean? If I pay someone else to do the work and bill him, he can just refuse to pay, can't he?
Sorry. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to correct plumber's errors. I've tried with not much success to correct the work myself, so I've probably scuppered any guarantee anyway. Though had no choice really, as we had waste water running into the garden and a young baby to think of.
thanks

Sponsored Links
He may give a 12 month guarantee, but there is in fact a six year period during which you can claim for defective work due to his negligence.

Normally you inform the builder of the poor quality work, and you must give him the oportunity to correct it. If you get no joy, then you can get someone else to rectify the work and then reclaim this off the builder or by suing the builder via a civil claim in the county court.

It does not matter if you have tried to rectify the work, as its not practical for you to suffer the effects of the poor work untill the original builder gets around to fix it. The statement of "Well you touched it so now the guarantee is void" has little if no weight in law

If you think you may take legal action, then best to get an indepentant report by a qualified person to back up your claim. You can reclaim the costs of this.

A claim in the county court (commonly called the small claims court) is cheap and does not involve solicitors. You just tell the judge your side in an informal room, and the other party says his - or does not turn up and you get judgement by default.

A guarantee given by anyone is worthless unless backed by an insurance or similar large organisation.

Start the ball rolling by sending him a recorded delivery letter, demanding that the work is put right and set a deadline (say 10 days). State that if it is not corrected by this date you will employ another person to correct the work and pursue all you costs, and compensation for your distress from him - including taking the necessary legal action and reporting him to the local Trading Standards.

Keep records of everything you/he did and said and calls/letters etc in case you take it further

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back