Rendering Guarantees

Sponsored Links
Tis not only the rep that worries me its the issue of causing criminal damage!!

It is not Criminal Damage. The materials belong to you until bought and paid for so you can damage your own property. His only legal standpoint would be from the civil trespass angle. Oh and take dated photos of before and after.

Hack the bloody stuff off.!

Out of interest.....is this charlatan non-payment behaviour typical in the plastering professionals' world ? (or indeed other trades)

Would be interested to know if the OP's case is typical or an exception.

It makes me furious just sat here reading it - and it's not me owed money! :evil:

is this charlatan non-payment behaviour typical in the plastering professionals' world ? (or indeed other trades)

I'd say to be treated/messed about in this way by a cowboy customer, would be unusual. Different if there's a problem with the job,,, but not over a guarantee. Most tradesmen would guarantee their work as a matter of course anyway. Each job is, or should be, their advert.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Would be interested to know if the OP's case is typical or an exception.

its not typical, fortunately its quite a rarity in my years of experience in the industry.

these characters do pop up from time to time and generally you can sniff them out before you commit yourself or money to their little schemes.

god i hate them :evil:

i know we would all feel like hacking it off but the sensible approach should always be through the courts.

good luck to all you hard working tradesmen out there its a jungle! :confused:
;)

EDIT and tradeswomen :oops:

Alistairreid wrote,

i know we would all feel like hacking it off but the sensible approach should always be through the courts.

Agree totally,, if you do it any other way,, even though you are owed money for materials and labour,,, to destroy/smash up the work you have done, would put you in the wrong. There was a case a while back, where a builder put in a new porch for a customer,, who then went on to mess the builder about over payment. He took the customer to court and won, and was subsequently allowed to go back to the customer'shouse, where he ripped down the porch,,, legally,,,,, :LOL: It was even on the telly,, remember it??

Roughcaster.

I'm impressed with that Alastair,, ;) How did you get that link,,, brilliant. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

must admit i got lucky with that one! typed in bbc news builder knocking down porch and that was the first link. :D

Nice! :cool:

Glagow - perhaps send a link to your problem customer.
You do have their email address... ;)
albeit by mistake!

I'm afraid that if you go back and tear the render off the wall it will be classed as criminal damage and you will probably be arrested, DNA taken, could end up infront of the mags who will be only to happy to slap you on the wrists, take the rest of your money from you, and humiliate you until you grovel and beg their forgiveness.

This is now a civil dispute about an unpaid bill.

Best thing to do is write them a letter with all the facts and give them 14 days to pay or you will issue a claim in the small claims court. The (real) judge who will have a bit of sense will look at the case and decide what to do about it. If you have already hacked the render off the wall and have a criminal conviction to boot he will not like you very much at all.

If you have an email saying they were never going pay anyway you will get your cash plus interest at a far higher rate than you get from the banks.

Citizens Advice is a lot cheaper than a solicitor and just as good.

i feel for you glagow, honestly i do cos i have had one recently like this, but the threat of ripping it all off was enough for him to sh*t himself and pay up.

key his f8CKIN mercedes. :evil: !!

As tempting as it is to go round and hack all your render off the wall, I must urge you not to. At the moment you are the victim, once you start escalating you will become the antagonist. There are also a lot of other issues like damage to their brickwork, clearing away mess and the time it takes to do it.

We all want to get even when we feel we’re being turned over, but that’s not smart business sense.

If you have completed the work to a good standard and met the details of the quote then write a letter that is short, courteous and to the point and asking for payment in full within 14 days. In the letter tell them that you will not hesitate to start legal action to recover the money if it is not received in 14 days. Send the letter recorded delivery.

If you have not received the full payment in 14 days then take action on the 15th day. You can take a Small Claims Court action easily, free and online.

Thanks everybody for your interesting and useful advice. There has been some moving on in that now the details of a guarantee have been resolved he has decided that in the five weeks that have passed since completion they are not satisfied with the quality of my work. Am going to take all the corrspondence which includes a pile of emails thanking me for my excellent work rate and approach to issues that arose during the job and how they would recommend me in a second. (!) to the one that was sent in error alluding to the fact they would not pay at the end, and the abusive racist emails he then sent my wife who responded to the email sent in error. I think when faced with that amount of contradictory information and comments they will have a hard job proving that its my work that is the issue. This is the first problem I have ever had getting my money and I will take whatever steps i have to to get it!!! :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back