Rendering Guarantees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently rendered a house and initially things were sweet between me and the householders they sent me an email meant for someone else that gave me evidence they were not planning to pay for the job and when I challenged them things became difficult. I decided that as a fledgling business I would complte the job and lo and behold they havent paid the final balance four weeks later. They are saying I offered them a guarantee and they want o see this before they do anything. I did not offer a guarantee as previously I have operated a goodwill basis and have returned should issues arise. Do people generally offer long term guarantees and does the fact they have now had some fancy finish sprayed on top and drilled many holes before work was complete negate any form of guarantee anyway? I have all the correspondence saved to email and there is no mention of guarantee anywhere

Cheers Glagow :(

Sponsored Links
why not issue them with a guarantee then?

if the rendering was applied properly on top of a suitably prepped substrate then you would have nothing to fear!

drilling holes into or spraying ornamental finishes onto rendering does not make it crack and fall off, assuming it was properly set.

unfortunately in business you come across these types all to often.

thanks for the advice, so do you think i should offer a guarantee against cracks and it falling off then? I am slightly concerned because it is an old building with a multiple occupancy and people who seem to want something for nothing and to get a 20 year guarantee for work they have yet to pay for!!

Welcome back from your holiday Alastair,, hope you enjoyed the break. ;)

I would agree with what you said to Glagow,,,, if the job's done correctly,, why not give a guarantee. I have never been asked to give one personally, but should anything go wrong, it would be in my interests to correct any problem, especially trading/living locally,, and in a small area,,, word soon spreads.
Saying that though, how many firms/companies that give written guarantees honour them in the long run. Once they have the "dosh", they're off, or they go into liquidation.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Hi Roughcaster thanks for the advice and this was what I said to them should any faults occur with the workmanship then I would return to remedy this as my reputation is paramount.They claim this is not formal enough and I am concerned by their constant delays etc and their underhandedness. One has been incredibly rude to my wife who deals with the paperwork and if I could afford to tell them to shove it I would....only I cant!! What would you personally suggest I guarantee against and for how long?

hi roughcaster!

enjoyed the few days away lake district then over to york (beautiful city )
then ran out of time....unlike richard and his 5 week respite :eek: :D .

anyway 15yr guarantee will hopefully placate the procrastinator and maybe he will expire before it does :evil:... :LOL:

A guarantee should have been part of the quote/contract. Anyone giving a long guarantee would add a loading to their initial estimate. If there was no guarantee offered then they can't demand one. Talk to your solicitor.

A guarantee should have been part of the quote/contract. Anyone giving a long guarantee would add a loading to their initial estimate. If there was no guarantee offered then they can't demand one. Talk to your solicitor.

agreed.............sounds like a dodgy customer though joe, ..any excuse! :rolleyes:

If he offers a 15 year guarantee they'll say that it must be insurance backed - which he won't be able to provide. Therefore he'll have agreed that he SHOULD offer a guarantee but CAN'T produce one - so that will give them an excuse not to pay until he can.

Job for his solicitor.

if I could afford to tell them to shove it I would....only I cant!!

There's no way you should tell them to shove it :eek: .
As apart from the obvious of getting the payment you're entitled to - it's prob what they're hoping for!

I've needed to employ a couple of tradesmen recently and I would say have been a credit to their professions.
I'm quite happy with their word in the event of a problem (I did ask the question at the outset that their work was guaranteed and as I know they have been working locally for 20yrs+, I was reassured enough to go this route).

In fact when we got the house nearly 12 months ago, there was actually one guarantee we had on paper. That was the one for the shoddy conservatory and surprise, surprise was the one that has in fact gone out of business! :( Was worthless.

So I guess what I'm saying in a round-about way is this sounds completely like stalling tac-tics to avoid payment. Even when in writing can be worthless, so if it was something they really felt that strongly about, they should have asked up front.

I also think Joe-90 is right they will ask for insurance backed - sounds like this may not be the first time they've played this game.

I think you have to have an initial consultation with your solicitor. May be able to shed some light on what the 'expert' has to be qualified in and whether you should offer the guarantee.
You never know, his expert may just be a mate doing him a favour with a loosely appropriate qualification in this area!
You wouldn't want to promise a guarantee if it gives you more trouble.

The email you received in error fortunately for you provides extra ammunition, so I guess not all bad! ;)

Good luck.

tell em your gonna hack the lot of unless they pay! you completed the job they aint paying so reclaim your materials!!!!

has worked a few times for me (roofing work).

they will sh*t themselves when you turn up with a kangoo to take it off.

if your worried about your rep, then make a sign to put outside of your van saying bad payer.

may be harsh and probably illegal (not sure) but small businesses like us can really struggle when some arsh*les refuse payment.

ho hum, I have an update.... householder now says that his business partners have gone abroad and he doesnt know when they will return but what he does know is that the walls started leaking water and they have had to have emergency repairs carried out....does anyone else think he is at it? :eek:

They should first have contacted you for emergency repairs. See your solicitor. The longer this goes on the less chance you have of ever being paid. I doubt you'll be paid anyway.

you render his house and he says his business partner is away and his walls are leaking?

Did he explain how you are responsible for his walls leaking, having only rendered them?

sounds fishy to me this one, one thing i know is that if he refuses to pay, rep or no rep that render would be coming off and he will be left with an eyesore.

Tis not only the rep that worries me its the issue of causing criminal damage!! Have told him he should have contacted me and that I am not going away because as it stands my property is currently covering his bricks, makes me laugh as they have had a terralean coat put over my render, no other work has been done. I then set the wife on him and he then suggests paying some of the balance, think I may just give her the kango!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back