Guide for securing UPVC doors and windows appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Self-explanatory.

Neighbour had (house) rear door lock drilled out last night (car theft attempt, trying to get in, to get keys).

What with this sort of thing, what can reasonably be done to secure a property from such attempts?

TIA :)

Sponsored Links
Hello, for the best uPVC door and window security i suggest ->

1.install multi purpose bolts ad removed to the top and bottom corner of the door or window. Very easy and quick to install. Just make sure you have got good self tapping screws to secure the bolt strongly on the door.
You can buy such a bolts in any DIY store and cost around £15.
Definitely one of the best security for uPVC door if installed correctly!

2.Good Quality British Standard or High security cylinder. For most uPVC doors its euro cylinder type. You must make sure the cylinder has British standard kite mark and BS numbering. That means that the cylinder its insurance approved and its in most cases Anti Snap,Anti drill, Anti Pick, Anti Bump.
Anti drill doesn't mean its not possible to drill, but the drilling time takes much much longer then standard cylinders makes it for thieve very difficult to brake it.

3.For securing front door incase you have letter box make sure you install letter box restrictor or letter box cage and never leave your keys near by the door.

4. Simple intruders alarm or alarm system connected to the local police.

Hope this help!

I don't see how you can turn a Eurolock on a plastic door into a BS3621 approved lock by fitting a different cylinder.

Eurolocks are inherently vulnerable, and Plastic doors are inherently flimsy, which is why they have to be festooned with multiple hooks and bolts.

Obviously my preference is for a sturdy wooden door and a BS3621 lock.

Sorry.

Sponsored Links
I don't see how you can turn a Eurolock on a plastic door into a BS3621 approved lock by fitting a different cylinder.

Eurolocks are inherently vulnerable, and Plastic doors are inherently flimsy, which is why they have to be festooned with multiple hooks and bolts.

Sorry.

In previous roles when out in the middle of the night boarding up and lock changing I came across many a sturdy timber door that had been kicked in, hardwood doors split down the stiles and your BS lock falling out, frames giving way and the lock keep ending up on the floor. I've even seen timber doors drilled with a quarter inch bit and I hinged rod pushed through to open a BS Yale lock

Timber doors can be just as ineffective in keeping out the scum

Is there anything as quick and easy as snapping, pulling or bumping a eurocylinder?

A sturdy breadknife will cut through a plastic door.

Sorry.

The same can be said for sturdy wooden doors, London bars, Birmingham bars, hinge bolts, mortice bolts, tower bolts........that sounds just as festooned to me!

Euro cylinders have come a long way since the ones you seem to keep referring to, yes the cheap £10 non BS cylinders are vunerable but so are non BS mortice locks if you know where to drill, even BS locks are so long as you have a cobalt drill bit

Last edited:
You could do that with aluminium but if John had his way making everybody downgrade to timber that wouldn't be possible

And what is being completely forgotten is the glass in the windows is the easiest way in.....most burglars these days won't bother with the door ...getting harder and harder to get in ...whether wood, pvc, aluminium or composite, most will just either force or break a window.........

Ultimately if someone wants to get in ...... they will!

I agree, if someone want to get in they can, but we have to make it as harder as possible so it will take them long time and in this sense alarm its good way to scare them of or shorten they time if they get in! If its a question of what type of door are the strongest then after 8years of locksmithing i came across burglaries where both uPVC and wooden door were split in half. If police needs to get into the property where BS deadlock its locked and instead of traditional night latch you have banham night latch or any type of automatic deadlocking nigh latches doesnt matter because if they use slash hammer they will be inside in no time! uPVC door has problems mainly in bottom part where you can just kick it through in seconds, but of course depends on which upvc/timber/wooden door you got! I prefer good solid wooden door, but must be thick around 35mm otherwise the wood around the lock area become too thin and then its easy to damage. As Crank39 set There are also very very good upvc door with good quality metal inside and they getting updated all the time! Good quality strong door cost more, but its worth it! If someone cant be bother to change their door for better quality ones for what ever reason then Get security grilles to install over your door ;) keep in mind that if someone has grinder or power tools then they are always able to get in, but by the time they will get through those someone could spot them already! Make it as harder as possible so it will take longer and they can be catch right on spot! If for what ever reason they get in, Strong sound alarm its the way to scare them away! You can get affordable good alarms in homebase or b&q.
Keep it safe!

My supplier is offering an upgrade to the ultion cylinder for £15 on each door they sell or £40 any other time, no doubt these cylinders are still inferior in John's eyes

20161124_125615.jpg
20161124_125633.jpg

of course. It still won't meet the BS. As I wouldn't have a plastic door it's immaterial to me.

I wonder if you could pull it out in two bites.

The 14-year-old crackheads never pick anything but their noses. If they had a drill they'd sell it.

And how would you do that if both times its going to snap, then you have the fixing screw to contend with never mind the cam, do you actually know what your saying?

screw it twice then use the screwdriver.

Why not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back