Guillotine Blades - Sharpen Them Myself - Or Pay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I paid to have the blades of my guillotine sharpened a few years ago. But it took a few weeks to get them back and I can't afford to be without it for that long. Should I try to sharpen them myself with a stone? I've got a small carborundum stone. They're ok at the moment, but could do with being a bit sharper - used for making picture frames.
IMG-3343.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd have them professionally ground - unless you are very good with the stone you can take the edge right off.
How about buying a replacement set for stand by?
John :)

There are both mobile people and those that offer a while you wait service who do this locally to me.

Sponsored Links
Pay. Commercial guillotine users often have 3 or more sets of blades for just this situation. One set in the guillotine, one set on the shelf (in case the mounted set get a nick) and one set at the sharpeners. I used to have a Morso F-type. It came with three sets of blades and TBH, despite having a planer blade grinder at the time (for my 16in planer) I still sent them out as I reckoned the sharpener did a better job. Even the little Ortegeuil (?) blades like yours can be tricky to hold whilst you sharpen them. Beware mobile services who say they can sharpen these - saw doctors have the machinery to do the job and will take less metal off the blade whilst maintaining the angles

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back