Gully or direct connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting a 40mm pipe that takes the sink and washing machine through the kitchen wall and need to connect this to the foul drainage system.

I am in the lucky position of a new build house where the foul drain exiting the foundations is still visible. My question is whether I am obliged to connect in a gully in order to accept the waste or whether I can simply connect the 40mm pipe directly to the foul drain pipe using a strap on boss or other suitable connector (with rodding point at the highest bit?).

The second option seems neater and more maintenance free than the former but I can't seem to find a definitive 'OK' for using a direct connection. Ive looked at the relevant building regs ( http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADH_2002.pdf ) and section 1.8 seems to give a subtle hint that a direct connection is OK - but I am looking for a clearer statement.

We're on a septic tank in case that adds to the equation.

Thanks in advance for any expert knowledge out there.

John

Sponsored Links
I dont know and have not read your link but I think that its unlikely that the regulations have changed much so I would suggest that a back inlet gulley with screw down cover will still be needed.

Tony

The decision often lies with LBCO - they will be signing it off so always run through your proposed drainage before you start.

I would advise a gulley. They come with a back inlet you can connect onto if you don't want the pipes visible or you can run the pipes through the wall and drop into the top of the gulley.

Don't know about other makes but the Polypipe gulleys have a removable sleeve to enable full cleaning and rodding if necessary.

Also you can plumb in your outside tap above the gulley.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out the Polypipe gullies as suggested. I don't have an option but to put the waste pipe through the wall and then down so I'm not sure about the back inlet thing, I guess I'll just have to take a closer look at one.

Thinking about it I suppose a gully would act as an early warning system for blockages downstream of it.

John

Sponsored Links
As I said before, unless there is a good reason not to the B.I.G. should have screw down cover.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back