Gurggling radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I promise the answer tothis thread isn't as simple as bleading the rads!

Having balanced my rads and installed a auto pump which delivers a constant pressure on the head, I now get my bedroom rad that gurgles.

There is definately no air in the system and the noise appears to be like a bursting of water throught the valve as pressure behind the valve builds up.

The valves on both sides of the rads are those fitted with the tr4 thermstatic heads. I aquired a resetting key from drayton which gives six flow setting through the valves. I must admit this staged adjustment doesn't beat a fully manual lockshield valve as the balancing is limited in it's precision according to these six settings.

Is this as simple as a faulty valve?

Sponsored Links
Have I understood correctly, you have TRV's on both sides of the radiators?
If so, why?
The valves on both sides of the rads are those fitted with the tr4 thermstatic heads.

I haven't the thermostatic head on both sides but the valves on both sides are the ones with the push down pin.

I get that is is uncommon but when your buy trv4's from b&q the come with two valves the same. I guess it's so you can move the thermostatic head to either side depending on which side is giving a more representative temperature in the room. I guess this factor could change based on furniture placement etc.

Strange :confused: A trv is usually fitted on the flow ( though they are 2 way now )and a lockshield on the return - better to buy a lockshield from a plumbers merchant and fit the rad up conventionally - find the flow by seeing which pipe gets hot first . Convention works ;)

Sponsored Links
You may just have flow direction set wrong for each valve.

Though I'd agree with Nige F and ditch one TRV end and replace with a conventional lockshield.

Surely correct balancing of the system cannot be achieved without the aid of a locksheild valve :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back