Gurgling toilet/ bathtub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a gurgle coming from my toilet/ bath plug when in use.

E.g. if I flush the toilet, bathtub plug gurgles

If I run lots of water down bath plug, toilet gurgles

Air is escaping and from a quick Google seems to be due to air vent

In this toilet, the previous owner due to extensions to the property made the air ventilation internal (which is accessible) next to the toilet.

Bath plug is a low profile p trap

We have had some blockages to this toilet recently (about 3) as it is one of those toilets with a very narrow escape. We hadn't really used this toilet much so never had an issue, but after doing extensive DIY elsewhere it was used regularly and this has happened since. I am assuming there is some kind of blockage in the escape causing an air buildup/ unable to escape?

Wondering what is the best approach to fixing this, I have plunged it but doesn't seem to make much difference.

Not sure if the internal vent is working that well?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep, you have a restriction somewhere. Those AAV's only let air in, not out, and if you have a restriction in the soil pipe then the air caught when the water is run is bubbling up through the traps.

Time to investigate the stack for blockages, hopefully there have been access points incorporated into the stack or the stack isn't too long and there is straight access through the top.

Sponsored Links
Plunging the toilet wont do much if the issue is, (and sounds likely to be), downstream in the drainage system. You dont mention if this is a ground floor or 1st floor bathroom, but my first port of call if I arrived on site would be to look for, and lift any inspection covers externally, and look for an issue externally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back