Gurgling waste pipe under bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our basin has quite an extreme case of gurgling in the u-bend, but a second or so after that has stopped there is a gurgling/'air passing through water' noise in the waste pipe under the floor somewhere. The floor is tiled so I can't identify exactly where it's coming from, and it's more of a 'bloop, blabba-bloop' sound, as opposed to the 'gulaggle-laggle' sound from the basin. (if it helps to diagnose, I'm happy to make these noises down the phone for you).

Neither the shower nor bath seem to trigger any similar noises, and there doesn't seem to be any restriction on the basin water going down the waste, it drains as fast as the tap can fill it.

Is this likely to be a simple blockage in the pipe, or could it be something to do with the venting? Have tried soda crystals and hot water, but wondering if it's worth probing a drain unblocking tool down there.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the water is filling the pipe at a certain point and causing a siphonage effect. Could put an anti vac trap on the basin but that may not cure the 'bloop blabba bloop' noise, only the 'gulaage-laggle' noise from the basin. Basin is the only appliance that does it probably because its on its own dedicated run, and possibly also the longest run, to the stack. Think the only long term solution would be to upsize the pipework to 40mm but if you cant get to it, that's not so easy....

Thanks. Is it worth me taking the trap off and pouring water directly down the pipe to see what happens? If it's as you say would the blooping under the floor still be there? From the sound, and the gap between the water draining away and the bloop, I get the feeling there's water sitting in the pipe, but then that wouldn't tally with the basin having no problem draining itself...

Sponsored Links
Possibly a dip in the pipe, causing water to collect, but as there's no physical restriction to the flow, basin will still drain as normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back