Gutering to Facia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Thanks for your help on the pvc facia i have it all up now and it looks great :cool:
It seems quite thick so is it possible to srew my guttering back onto the facia or do i have to screw it to the same beams as the facia
I i,m sure this is an easy question but i,m new to all this and starting from the top down, as this seems to be the logical way to make everything water tight ect
Many thanks for your help

Martin

Sponsored Links
gatesmr2 said:
is it possible to srew my guttering back onto the facia or do i have to screw it to the same beams as the facia
It's best to use longer screws to pick up the old timber fascia board or the roof rafters.

I have taken all the old wooden facia of the beams are fine just i have a large gap from the corner of the house to the first beam about 700mm
will the pvc facia take the guttering on the corner
As far as cheap goes i have done this for it,s abilty to look white and it,s easier to keep it that way
i enjoy diy but painting the windows and guttering every few years as well as the house (it,s rendered) is not my idea of fun prefer to do the jobs i enjoy doing rather than jobs i have to do

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure about the thing you are trying to say about the gap, but if you have removed the wood then you must be using replacement fascia. As long as its min 16mm thick then it will hold the brackets solely*. Use good thick woodscrews.

*Unless its Swish which is a pile of cr4p, soft as anything :cry:

I would have doubts about getting a secure fixing in just 16mm of plastic. I would prefer to get a fixing into the timber behind it, or at least use a screw with a single wide thread for better grip.

Incidentally, 16mm fascia should be fitted onto a backing board of timber - normally 25mm. Or it will be wavy and unsupported. Only the 25mm plastic fascia should be fixed directly to rafters without a backing board.

The timber backing solves the concerns with screwing just into the plastic too

my self and the next door neibour done both our houses a few weeks ago with 9mm profile
in the way i understand to be the correct way
as in remove and replace rotten wood cover with "plastic"fully sealing all edges fit soffit vents [still to be done] for ventilation as its felted with concrete redlands

this way you have maximum strength with maximum protection

Thanks for your help

I have checked an off cut and it is the thick facia, i could have gone cheaper but as it,s got to last thought it best to get a decent one first time

so i should be ok to screw straight into this for the corners as with the rest i can use the main joists

once thats finsihed i gotta find decent windows and a decent company to fit them, so any one with veiws on good and bad companys would be great as i,m looking at 16 plus two sets of french doors and a front door as well :eek: this is not going to be cheap so i need it done right first time

Martin

how exactly is the corner fixed onto the woodwork!!!!!

i have just done an experiment in my shed fitted 2 battons verticly 700mm centres clamped on the 9mm by 150mm "summit" facia screwed in two gutter brackets with 8x1"screws 50mm off the support [so 600mm apart]

the plastic did of course deflect as i pulled down on the brackets but the brackets would have broken before the screws come out :D

if the facia is properly secured with the propper 40 or 50mm plastic capped nails or screws your probably ok as long as the timber wasn't soft !!!
i would double up on the nails at the top each side for safety as they will be hidden by the guttering anyway

so hows that for service tried an experiment for your conveniance ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back