gutter leaf guard

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have just cleaned out my carport gutters, they were completely clogged with leaves and overflowed when I tried to hose them out.

What's the best leaf guard? I have seen mesh advertised, but I have a feeling that leaves would catch in the mesh. I thought I had seen a sort of comb, where leaves would be washed over the edge of the gutter.

Sponsored Links
My house is under massive lime trees and the gutters were always getting blocked. From the reserch I done the stuff you can get which has bristles looked the best. The mesh stuff still causes problems where the build up if leaves creates a barrier and the water doesnt even get into the gutter. I still havnt boufht the bristle stuff and only have the small guards you sit over the downpipe hole. It works but the gutters still need emptied.

There a long cylinder shape that sit in your gutters that allow water through and catch the leaves. Think it comes in meter lenths. If you google gutter guards you will see them.

Sponsored Links
I have some, but only in areas adjacent to the down pipes (we have a lot of guttering!). Where they are placed, they work well. However, the spaces in between still collect leaves and other detritus, which then washes and builds up against the ends of the brushes.

I suspect the best situation would be to have the brushes in the entire length of the gutters. Unfortunately, I can't afford that yet. Also, it has to be said, my wife doesn't particularly like the sight of the brushes protruding above the gutters (bloody women!), so the other option I have used is the downpipe guards that Darryl mentioned.

Fortunately, we live in a bungalow so cleaning out the gutters several times a year (we have a lot of trees) isn't too difficult.

thanks

I will try to do the whole length. It is about 10 metres including the end return. If I have to have a gap I will put it in the return because it is the most accessible part to clean.

I saw a brand called "hedgehog" Is that what you have?

I don't remember whether mine was Hedgehog brand, but it looks just the same. Having googled it, I think the Amazon prices are best: £10 for 4m.

Also, I understand it is available in different diameters for different diameter gutters. I have seen 100mm and 125mm.

I used hedgehog and they're awful. To start with they did the job and considering how cheap they are, I thought it was great. The problems came after about 2 months when the bristles had caught a load of leaves. Because they get spiked, I have to keep getting up there to pull them off. I may as well be pulling them from out of the gutter. There is another type and although it's more expensive, I've been told that once the leaves dry they just blow off! I'll find out what it's called and come back but in the mean time, I'd advise against the hedgehog. Price isn't always everything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back