How to stop leaves / gutter..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've moved into a new house thats surrounded by trees. Leaves in the gutters seems to be an issue. I just wanted whats best to do? I've seen the Brush Leaf Guards but don't particularly like the look of them and think that leaves would grip to them..

What other options are there?

Many thanks,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
short of cutting down the trees the brushes work great and you cant see them from the ground

Ha good man. You can see the gutters from some of the windows not that it's the end of the world.

I wondered if there was anything else? I envisage a colour matched slatted plastic length that clips on the top of the gutter.

Where would you buy the brushes from?

Cheers, Devs.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the help buddy. Appreciated!

The brushes, covers, mesh whatever just does not work. Think about it, the leaves just clog it up by rotting on the top of them.

I don't know of any success stories, only tales of woe.

I know of someone who specified hundreds of meters of Hedgehog stuff on a big refurb project, and there were problems with it as soon as the scaffold came down. It all had to come back out again. Its the worst con ever.

As above.
Dont install leaf guards OP, you will only give yourself further problems.
Cutting back all overhanging or nearby foliage is about the best remedial measure for leaf blocked gutters and roof moss.
The trees were here before us and will be here afterwards - hopefully.

Another tip based in my limited experience - don't have downpipes that just disappear straight in to the ground. It may look clean and sexy but you'll never know when it's clogging up with leaves and then is a pain to unblock. Better to have a 100mm gap between the gutter downpipe outlet and a gully/grid (or whatever)

Advice taken guys many thanks for all the help. I'm just down from the ladder and you've saved me a few quid! :)

It's true. I had several pieces of 'hedgehog' in parts of my guttering and they didn't solve anything.
I also tried some of those 'basket' things in the top of the down pipes, but all they did was collect debris and still cause a blockage.
Luckily, we live in a bungalow, so it's easy enough to get up and clean the gutters.

It occurs to me now just to leave the gutters, including the top of the down pipes. Leaves, etc, still find their way through and I find, from time to time, dead leaves blocking gullies at ground level. This isn't too much of a problem, as I just lift the (old cast iron) grates, allowing the water to drain, and then remove the rubbish.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back