I have got clutter in my gutter. Do i need a brush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without a full rendition of everyone's favorite radio advert, are they any good?

I have trees out teh back but thought they were far enough away to not cause a problem. I had a new roof and guttering installed and was on the scaffold today and noticed a load of leaves in the gutter.

I obviously need some gutter guards to put at the top of each downpipe as this was where they were all stuck today but are the brushes worth it?

As much as i love the tune that goes with them i always thought of them as a bit of a gimmick but now thinking about it they probably do serve a purpose. I went for the deep guttering so they will not be seen from street level. While i have the scaffold up should i just put them in?

Is there a better brand? For what i need it looks like i will be in for about £100 to purchase this. To be fair if it stops me having to go up to the gutters after the scaffold is dropped its money well spent i guess.

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion, please make what you will of it but I've never found anything to be successful with this.
Roses that stick in the downcomer running outlet just allow debris to build up behind it and the gutters eventually fill up to overflowing - which don't do the soffits much good if they are timber. The rose has to be pulled out from time to time for clearing.
Gutter guards that sit on the top just allow leaves to collect on the top, and water just shoots over the top after a while.
Various contraptions on extended poles shaped to fit into the gutter to allow you to scrape them clear always seem to jam on the gutter joints or tiles and rarely do what they are supposed to do.
Nothing to beat a ladder and getting yer hand in, I'm afraid!
John :)

So save the money and get up the ladder once a year then?

That's what I do, fine when I'm fit enough!
Seriously, it's your choice what you want to do - I just haven't found anything that works. The theory is fine, practicality somewhat less so.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back