Keeping leaves out of downpipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are loads of trees in the area and so the gutters get loads of leaves in them. In the past leaves (mostly broken down bits) have got into the downpipes and blocked them in the bends at the top, leading to the gutters overflowing.

In the two most affected places I fitted gutter balloons, rather like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulk-Hardware-BH03114-Gutter-Balloon/dp/B00O7P9EA6

I thought I would still need to go up and clear out the gutters but I would not have to take the downpipes apart to unblock them.

In yesterday's rain I saw that the gutters were overflowing in both places. When the rain had slackened off I went up and found that both gutter balloons had been forced down into the downpipes and were covered in a solid mass of decomposing leaves, letting very little water past.

So I removed the gutter balloons and cleaned out the gutters as far as I could reach.

I could try more substantial gutter balloons like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gutter-Pipe-Leaf-Balloon-63-75mm/dp/B00FI0PEAI
or a strip of metal mesh along the gutter.

Any ideas as to whether either of those would help or anything else that would be good?

Sponsored Links
If there was an overhanging tree that might be an idea, but if there was an overhanging tree I would have said so.

There are loads of trees in the area and so the gutters get loads of leaves blown in to them, see

Untitled2.png

Sponsored Links
@Notch7 Have you used one? If so what was your experience?

Someone I spoke to mentioned that to me. I looked and I have seen very mixed reviews, with some quite negative ones when there is a lot of plant material about. When that is the case the reviews talk about loads of fine matter forming underneath which makes a nice place for plants to grow. And I can believe that, I pulled a small plant out of the gutter yesterday growing in a cm or so of decomposed leaves.

If that is true (and I don't know) it sounds like I would have to remove the hedgehog and clean it and the gutters every year as opposed to just cleaning the gutters.

As an aside, we have a big house (4/5 bedroom, detached) so it would cost quite a lot to do all the gutters and I so am reluctant to spend so much on something that might well make matters worse.

Coil of chicken wire in the top of pipe, not disturbed by wind and easy and cheap to replce.

I've tried both 'balloons' and 'hedgehogs' and found that neither were particularly good. Both required regular clearing out. Fortunately, we live in a bungalow.

What I have seen, though, but not tried is something like a metal grille with really small holes that fit over the whole length of the gutter, like this:
https://www.guttersupply.com/p-Gutter-Guard.gstml
The idea is that rainwater will drop through to the gutter, but leaves and other detritus will sit on the top, hopefully to be blown away. Has anyone tried these?

I've tried all sorts of things to prevent leaves gathering in the gutter......nothing works, the leaves just sit on top and the water cascades over them - sometimes back over the fascia if its left unchecked.
I have a mesh rose where the running outlets are, but nothing beats cleaning out by hand where possible. Its also good to scrape out the debris where the lead valleys terminate too.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back