Gutter over-splashing at one area of cross-gabled roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a Victorian terraced house. I think you call this a cross-gabled roof...

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 14.17.11.jpeg

I have a problem wherein the portion of lower, longer guttering at the lower roof is receiving excess water from the upper roof. This is causing splash-over, which has been occurring for years.

Video #1, October 2022 -
Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 14.53.51.png

Video #2 - So, the lower gutter gets rain not only from its own apex all along but, at this area, also from i) a small leg of downpipe from the upper roof and ii) direct run-off from the upper roof, which seems to trail down the flashing, plus iii) maybe even a trickle out of the left end of that upper gutter. (Is the upper gutter blocked?). That's too much at this portion, and there is over-spill.
IMG_1107.JPG

The lower gutter is a little more silted (2022-Oct - right) than it was in 2014 (left)...

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 14.56.25.png
IMG_1232.JPG

But that's not the major issue, or new, because there was significant and equal splashing when first observed back in 2014, too. All of this has been happening since then. The house was a renovation and was re-roofed by the owner-developer in 2012/13, before our arrival.

Video #3 - I notice what may, to my untrained eye, be a considerable felt over-hang. I am no roofing expert, though. Is this amount of over-hang appropriate? Could it be holding water... ?
See how the splashing deposits water particularly on the wall, uplighter and floor beneath this area...
Video #4 and 2014 pics before repainting...
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

I am concerned because I am experiencing damp issues in lower-floor rooms under this area, and I am wondering if this is connected...

This affects: 1) the kitchen behind the area you see above, 2) part of the adjacent middle room (see corner of room, below) and 3) extending into the under-stairs and hallway, through this is further behind). The footprint and floorplan are those of a typical Victorian terraced property (image)

IMG_0828.JPG

Of course, for all I know, there could be a completely different cause. The bottom wet exterior area you see above (side return, unpainted render, where floor meets wall), has already benefitted from 2014 work including 1) added membrane, 2) a row of old tiled floor replaced with pavers, in an attempt to water-secure that area....

IMG_0105.JPG

The neighbour seems to have a similar downpipe setup, although seemingly with a different flashing material?
So...

Do I have any problems going on here? What do I need to do?

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Hi. The lower gutter needs eaves trays above fascia but under felt membrane under the tiles . As for the gushing from pipe at top maybe bring that pipe down to run into lower gutter with bends so it can run to main pipe and away . Also maybe try a 90 o bend on the bottom of top pipe , angle across roof rather than down add about a foot and a half of pipe but cut some 18 mm holes spaced out along the side , this will slow the flow of water trying to fish out of one hole if you see what I mean

Hi. The lower gutter needs eaves trays above fascia but under felt membrane under the tiles .

As for the gushing from pipe at top maybe bring that pipe down to run into lower gutter with bends so it can run to main pipe and away . Also maybe try a 90 o bend on the bottom of top pipe , angle across roof rather than down add about a foot and a half of pipe but cut some 18 mm holes spaced out along the side , this will slow the flow of water trying to fish out of one hole if you see what I mean
I think that's already a 90-degree shoe on the bottom? Albeit not very long. It is angled away, but is just depositing in a single spot.

Thanks very much for educating me with this!

Takeaways:
* Need eaves trays. (Are roofs commonly installed without, or should I write this off as just as much a cowboy effort as everything else in this house?)
* Disperse the water out over a longer stretch.

Sponsored Links
Take the swan neck off the downpipe and put straight into gulley also change you're guttering to deep flow and lift in up it's too low trays will help stop water going behind gutter but won't stop the splash over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back