guttering problems with a neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right area but thought its a good place to start.

We live in an end terraced semi-detached house next to 2 flats. We have lived here for about 9 years and have always shared a down drain pipe for the front of house gutting. A new buyer on the upstairs flat has cow complained and says we should have our own downpipe as one is not enough for two property's and it is causing damp to her property. I should say both property's are ex council houses and I think the guttering was put in by them many years ago (ours stopped being a council house in the 90's) and looking at our side of the house there is no drain hole to actually attach a downpipe to.

o really what i would like to know are they right that we should have our own downpipe or do we have the right (easement) to use the same downpipe?

any advice would be very helpful thanks

Sponsored Links
normal practice to share
take pictures off the other houses in the area and they will all share

if you suspect there is a problem either get up the ladder and clear out the gutter or offer to go halves on the cost off clearing both gutters as a good will gesture

Hi thanks for your help and supports what i have heard from a few friends.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this is the right area but thought its a good place to start.

We live in an end terraced semi-detached house next to 2 flats. We have lived here for about 9 years and have always shared a down drain pipe for the front of house gutting. A new buyer on the upstairs flat

any advice would be very helpful thanks
The fabric of a flat and it`s repair is the responsibility of the Freeholder of the flat/s ;) It`s nothing to do between you and any leaseholder :idea: Keep your gutters clear .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back