guttering replacement question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what the correct word for it is but the wood panels my guttering is attached to around the lip of my roof really needs replacing. It's rotten in parts and there's a big hole where some birds nested last spring too. I didn't really mind the birds being there but the rotting wood definitely is a problem.

Would it be possible to get those wood panels replaced without replacing all the guttering? I'm wondering if it's possible to pay somebody to take the guttering down, clean it out, replace the wood panels, then put the same guttering back up. Seems a waste of plastic to get new guttering if it's fine.

If that's not possible then what do you think would be a reasonable quote to replace the guttering around my whole house? It's a very small semi detached house. Not sure exact size but I assure you it's just a small one.

Sponsored Links
Also second question while I am here with you helpful lot. My roof has a lot of moss on it. The tiles seem to be in good condition so I'm not too worried about it really, but I get a lot of little balls of moss dropping down into my garden and I'm wondering if maybe I should be more worried about any possible future problems caused by this moss. I don't think it's a problem but wanted to check.

You can't say without seeing if the rafter ends have gone. I'd replace the lot if I were you. Old guttering is usually bent.

Fair enough.

Any ideas what a decent quote would be to replace all guttering and facias (they are called facias right?)

Do people quote for work via this forum? Uxbridge area.

Sponsored Links
The moss isnt a problem if it gets really thick then it can be cleaned off as for fascias etc about £45 per metre is fair for replacement , dont get talked into cladding over it

Moss can make roofs leak (roots cause cracks). Spray it with moss killer from Wickes.

Does the dead moss just fall off in the next bit of rain after it dies or do I need to get up there and scrape it off myself?

Plastic guttering is usually replaced along with the roof fascias. It is fairly cheap to buy and while you could clean up the old guttering and refit it you still have to pay the same labour costs for the work, in my opinion it's best to just pay a little extra and get the new gutter. At the least consider changing the joints as they have rubber seals which often leak, especially after being disturbed (ie removed and refitted)

As for the roof moss, the best approach (assuming you have concrete tiles) is to pay a roofer to scrape off the excess and then spray the tiles with a fungicide, this will kill off any spores preventing early regrowth and you won't have to worry about the gutters getting blocked.

If you just spray the moss then the rain waill wash it into the gutters, over the next few months they will continually block and clog.

I wouldn't use a pressure washer (messy) or apply a roof sealant (costly, not needed)

I know someone suggested £45 per metre for fascias, I normally charge between £60 - £80 for replacement fascias, soffits and guttering/pipes. I guess the average price varies upon location and whether you choose a one man business or a larger business with employees and overheads etc. Best to stay away from any company that suggests capping over the original boards.

I wrote the pages below, they may be of interest:

http://danielsroof.com/removing-roof-moss-roof-cleaning/

http://danielsroof.com/how-to-replace-fascia-and-soffits-boards-with-plastic-upvc/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back