Wood under iron guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
The iron guttering on my bay window has rusted and the wood beneath it rotted.
I'd like to clean up the gutter and replace the wood.
A problem I'm having is that I can't find replacement wood. Partially as I don't know what to call it (it looks like architrave). I've attached a photo, it's the black wood directly beneath the gutter that I'm interested in.
Thanks,
C

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_201041.jpg
    IMG_20230827_201041.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
You may find that timber profile is made up of a few different mouldings set onto a backing timber which was normal practice back in the era it would have been installed. If you are cutting it out then get a cross section of it and find a joiners shop that can replicate it for you if you want or have to put back identical.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, all!
It does seem a little difficult to source.
Looking at it, the built up of different bits of timber suggestion makes sense.
The old style timber moulds do look similar, but those I've found come in much smaller size than under the window.
For a replacement, there are some pvc options (I'm not so keen) and also to plaster coated foam options (which may be ok!). I figure out the costs for foam vs timber pieces and then make a decision.
Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back