Gutters: is this a cowboy job ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

recently had a new gutter put up on one side of my garage - this connected into a pipe that fed into a water butt.

i've attached photos.

would you accept this as a competent job ?

it looks bad to me, but i have no experience on the difficulties of putting up guttering. for all i know this might be acceptable to some.

the contractor said it didn't look pretty; but did the job.

this guy wants to come around next week to work on my roof.

i'm hesitant based on what i've seen so far.

the property i'm living in has suffered from cowboys in the past with previous owners; i don't want to repeat history.

would appreciate your thoughts on this. should i let him loose on my roof ? he's got 95%+ positive ratings on one of these trade sites.

many thanks

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 569
Sponsored Links
Wonky pipes, no leaf trap.

he's got 95%+ positive ratings on one of these trade sites

If he needs to pay to advertise on one of those trade sites then he is most likely not getting enough personal recommendations to keep him occupied.

Who suggested it should run into a water butt ??

A couple "off set" elbows or moving the water butt would have made it look neater.

Wonky pipes, no leaf trap.

If he needs to pay to advertise on one of those trade sites then he is most likely not getting enough personal recommendations to keep him occupied.

tell me about it. when he showed up, he wouldn't stop trying to get me signed up for other things.

interesting take on the trade sites. i had never thought of that angle before.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Try turning the lid, and see if that straightens the pipework up. But I'd be inclined to find someone recommended by a neighbour next time - now tell us he was.

Actually, I've just looked at the pictures again, and that won't work due to the other pipework coming in from the side. That should have been brought in at a lower angle, and that would have adjusted things better. I think it can be improved, but you'd need a new pice of 2.5m pipe, and you shouldn't have to do that.

How much did he charge you?

300 pounds.

he did install new guttering across the other side of the garage as well.

still seemed a lot.

he originally said it was a big job, 3 hours. it took him an hour. but he disappeared for a couple of hours + to get materials. i had to call him to ask if he was coming back.

Actually, I've just looked at the pictures again, and that won't work due to the other pipework coming in from the side. That should have been brought in at a lower angle, and that would have adjusted things better. I think it can be improved, but you'd need a new pice of 2.5m pipe, and you shouldn't have to do that.

thanks for the feedback. looks like i'll have to get someone else in to fix this.

At £300, I'd call him back in and tell him you want it done properly. You can cost the materials out yourself, and then work out what his labout charge was. There are those on here that will say that a jobs whatever a person charges for it, and if it's done properly, then that's a fair comment; but this one hasn't been, and and £250 for an hours work should be reported to trading standards. If he'd charged a days rate for an hours job, then you might forgive him, but I'd tell him that if he want's any more work from you, then it needs to be redone so you can have confidence in him..

If he won't play ball, or he wants the other work as well, then report him, and wait for the next worker you get in to redo it; they'll just add maybe half an hours work to their bill.

does this sound like a cowboy ?

he shows up to clean gutters; £160.

after he's done, he starts recommending i get the front pavings cleaned. £350. including the back patios, £1200.
i say no, not today. he knocks off £100. i say no.

he then says he spoke to my neighbour, who says rain water from my garage leaks onto their shed.

we went to speak to them and turns out that was the case. i have no reason to not trust these people. they seem decent.

so this guy says he can fix the garage guttering there and then. says it will take 3 hours.

he goes away for 2-3 hours, comes back (after i call him to ask where he's gone), 1 hour later he's done. £300.

he then says there are a number of issues with the roof - he goes around and points them out to me.

mysteriously, one of the tiles had worked itself loose, so there was a gap in the roof. i can't say if this was like this already.

he says altogether half a day work, he'll come back next week.

gut instinct; this guy is a cowboy. it's frustrating i don't have the experience to tell how much BS is going on here.

thanks for all your replies.

At £300, I'd call him back in and tell him you want it done properly. You can cost the materials out yourself, and then work out what his labout charge was. There are those on here that will say that a jobs whatever a person charges for it, and if it's done properly, then that's a fair comment; but this one hasn't been, and and £250 for an hours work should be reported to trading standards. If he'd charged a days rate for an hours job, then you might forgive him, but I'd tell him that if he want's any more work from you, then it needs to be redone so you can have confidence in him..

If he won't play ball, or he wants the other work as well, then report him, and wait for the next worker you get in to redo it; they'll just add maybe half an hours work to their bill.

thanks Doggit. appreciate your thoughts.

ultimately, i just wanted to know if this job had been done properly. looking it, even without experience, i would say not. but i needed to hear it from those with more experience. so i really appreciate your feedback. i'll contact him. not sure i want him back though - i.e. if he couldn't do it properly in the first place etc. i'll mention trading standards - see what re-action that has. thanks.

hi,

would you accept this as a competent job ?
NO

i'm hesitant based on what i've seen so far. ------You should be.

the property i'm living in has suffered from cowboys in the past with previous owners; i don't want to repeat history.
Unless you stonewall him/ threaten Police if he keeps on, you will never be rid. Your house has been "listed" by those who travel in the same circles as your "workman".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back