H&S courses??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have two questions I wounder if any one can help.
The first if at work I need to use a 3 tier ladder do I by law have to go on a course to learn how to use the ladder in a correct manner?

And also If I was to carry out Electrical PAT testing do I have to go on a course to be shown how the PAT tester works and am I liable for the appliances I have tested?

Kind regards drgaz

Sponsored Links
I would say you definitely need a course on ladder handling, when you consider how many people are killed on site let alone those confined to a wheel chair for the rest of their lives.

I had a H&S lecture many moons ago.

I was working on the roof and a mate that works for the fire brigade popped up to see me, he used the rungs for his hands instead of sliding his hands up the parallel vertical bars, so even the professionals can get it wrong, the reason being, if you're on site, and you clamber up the ladder after a team of brickies the chances are the rungs are caked in mud or in a residential street, there's always someone who stands in cats or doggy poo, not nice to grab hold of, also by sliding your hand on the sides, you never actually loose contact with the ladder.

To summarize, if you have not been shown, you do not do it!!

Its great being at the top of a big ladder and hands and feet on the side rails and release. Down you go. :LOL:

PAT testing isn't actually compulsory.

Its done purely as a tick box exercise to prove some effort at conforming.

However the day after a PAT test any item could become instantly illegal with a broken cord or failed insulation.

If you get a PAT test sticker and the equipment is used in a heavy work environment where the items can be damaged then your PAT test 9 months previous is unikely to prevent a H&S prosecution.

On the other hand if you PAT test something and the day after someone picks it up and is shocked it definately would be better for you to be able to prove you were competent by passing a course.

Sponsored Links
Site 110v power tools , should of course be tested every 3 months if they are subject to heavy use, but as mdf says, the cord could be damaged a day after PAT testing. A bit like the MOT test for cars. A day after the MOT certificate is issued, it's a virtually worthless piece of paper, even stating on it that it only states the condition of the vehicle at the time it was tested. ;) ;)

The ladders thing, I would think will come under the H&S at Work act, more specifically the Working at Heights Regs, which state,,

all work at height is properly planned and organised;
those involved in work at height are competent;
the risks from work at height are assessed and appropriate work equipment is selected and used;
the risks from fragile surfaces are properly controlled; and
equipment for work at height is properly inspected and maintained.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/regulations.htm

The highlighted bit says you must be competent. If you've not had ladder training, you can't be deemed competent.
Your employer has to risk assess any work at heights anyway and competency should be included in this assessment. ;) ;) ;)

Just wondering do you have to get your PAT tester PAT tested? :mrgreen:
PAT testing equipment should be calibrated every year. I'm assuming that this would be done at the time of calibration. ;) ;)

So the calibrators must be calibrated by a daddy calibrator to ensure it calibrates properly. How do we know the daddy calibrator is calibrated?
Oh and does the calibrator need to be PAT tested? :D

I belive the "PAT" test intervals are in the process of being replaced by a risk assessment based system to be carried out by the duty holder

I would say you definitely need a course on ladder handling, when you consider how many people are killed on site let alone those confined to a wheel chair for the rest of their lives.

I had a H&S lecture many moons ago.

I was working on the roof and a mate that works for the fire brigade popped up to see me, he used the rungs for his hands instead of sliding his hands up the parallel vertical bars, so even the professionals can get it wrong, the reason being, if you're on site, and you clamber up the ladder after a team of brickies the chances are the rungs are caked in mud or in a residential street, there's always someone who stands in cats or doggy poo, not nice to grab hold of, also by sliding your hand on the sides, you never actually loose contact with the ladder.

To summarize, if you have not been shown, you do not do it!!

Firefighters are trained to use the Rungs of a ladder for their Hands, They are called "Rounds" in the Fire Service, and to go up a ladder its Right Hand, Right Foot, Left Hand Left Foot so one is evenly balanced

Holding onto the Vertical Bars ("Strings" in Fire Fighting Terms) means one can slip and swing away from the ladder.

ive recently done a ladder course,god was it boring,but a necessity.you must have 3 points of contact on the ladder at all times.
a ladder is only to be used as a means of access(unless it a simple few minute job)other wise a suitable platform must be provided,i:e tower or proper scaffold.

ive recently done a ladder course,god was it boring,but a necessity.you must have 3 points of contact on the ladder at all times.
a ladder is only to be used as a means of access(unless it a simple few minute job)other wise a suitable platform must be provided,i:e tower or proper scaffold.

Are you gonna tell the fire brigade? i would but i gotta wash my hair that day !!!

i think they are probably covered by there own rules and regulations.

Sponsored Links
Back