Had down-lights installed above bathroom, unsure of safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electrician was to fit 5 lights and an extractor fan because of the mold we've had on our bathroom ceiling.

He's installed them and they look fine from the bathroom so I was happy. My next task was to improve the insulation above the bathroom to make it less cold and less prone to condensation/mold.

When I went up I saw he's removed most of the insulation above the bathroom, none of the wiring is attached to the wood, exposed copper wire is near the insulation and he's cut some of the wood to fit a down-light in.

Does this look safe to you? Should I ask him to come and tidy the job up?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That's dreadful. I cannot see if these are 230v or 12v lamps, but even so.:

All terminations must be inside enclosures. They come with the light fittings, why didn't he use them?

The maker will have specified a minimum distance from joists etc, so that light needs to move.

And that rats nest where all the wires come together is unsafe. Again, all of the cables and terminations must go into a proper enclosure that is screwed to the structure, not just floating around in the air.. Cables must be clipped to backgrounds.

Edit, he IS meant to clear insulation from round the lights, or they will cook.
If you plan to cove over with insulation, then you'll need to install something like these:http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/JC94020.html

I'm not a pro but that looks pretty shoddy! bare copper visible outside of the block there and the connections should really be in a box of some kind.

Did he give you any kind of documentation or certificate?

Thanks for the reply.

I've just been looking at those from a recommendation in another thread, I'll definitely have to get some. I expected some insulation to be removed, but it's been taken out of the places it needs it most which aren't obstructing the lights.

I'm having no luck with electricians in Manchester so far. Hopefully he will come and sort it out.

Sponsored Links
rjm2k: He wrote this on the invoice, "All work has been conducted iaw 17th edition wiring regulations amendment 1. Where necessary amendments to existing wiring were made to conform with the regulations. A works certificate has been submitted."

I had a look and they are 12v 50w lamps

Can you show a pic from in the bathroom? I wonder if he actually fitted bathroom rated fittings?

I didn't notice a transformer, I'll go back up to check, draw a diagram and measure the voltage/current while I'm at it. Cheers!

It kind of looks like there could be a CFL lamp in there...!

And it does look bathroom rated

Taylortwocities, that's right - I searched for it by the part number, this is the one I have installed. Mine says 12V on the label attached to it. I don't see how they would even work?

There's definitely 240V going in to it.
Has that been confirmed by measurement?

You can get 240V lamps with the GU5.3 pin spacing that look like, and therefore fit 12V fittings.

But these fittings are designed for 12V, not 240V.

So, exposed insulated-only cables outside an enclosure, using the product not as intended, cables unsupported, and fire risk from location of downlights from combustible materials. Not looking good for this idiot is it? What paperwork did he issue, as he so proudly announced on his invoice?

mfarrow, I measured it with my multimeter at the choc block which connects to the light fitting's fitted wires.

He didn't supply me with any paperwork, just that notice that he'd sent off a work certificate.

I think I'll have to get recommendations for professionals on this forum in future. This is the second electrician that has left me with utter crap from mybuilder.com, both had great ratings as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back