Hairline cracks on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our ceiling plastered about two years ago. Its lathe and plaster and its boarded over in certain areas as the ceiling was cut away due to a botch up chimney breast removal before we moved in. We sorted the joists out properly so it's all now to a standard. The parts cut out where then patched up with plasterboard and the whole thing skimmed over. In one corner the ceiling has started to crack. Its cracking on the edge where the coving meets the ceiling and its cracking in the corner from one side to the other. It's hard to see as the cracks are so small. My question is is it anything to worry about. I refixed the coving as it felt loose. My plan is to repaint the whole sealing with some polycell paint that covers hairline cracks. I tried to fill it but the crack is so small it looks a mess. Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

Attachments

• 20210215_102511.jpg
    20210215_102511.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 253
  • 20210215_102456.jpg
    20210215_102456.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
It's very difficult to eliminate all cracking in older houses, especially after repair works, and lathe and plaster ceilings are notorious. Hairline cracks are not a serious issue however, they are just a bit annoying. My advice is caulk the cracks with a flexible filler - from a mastic gun. Work the filler into the cracks by finger and then paint over with a flexible paint. You won't get rid of them completely but you should be able to make them better.

PS, rubbish photos by the way.

I know the pictures arent the best. My camera kept going blurry the closer I zoomed in. I tried to fill with caulk but it's made it looks worse to be honest. If you look close you can see the caulk despite it being painted over

You’re best wiping over the caulk with a little sponge or cloth to get rid of the excess when you apply it. Might be able to lightly sand it back a bit but caulk isn’t great for that

Sponsored Links
Hi Michaelsf90,

I had and still have in some places, the exact same problem.

One of the ceiling that my plaster had tried to fix and im glad to say has worked well.
There was a crack just under a rsj inbetween the knockthrough into a extention.
It had been there many years, untill recently. The plaster basically tapped over it with the plasters joint tape, and skimmed over it lightly in that area alone.

So far so good

However i do have some in other places around the house, and the method ive been recommended to try is to, scrape a little of at the cracks to make and then skim over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back