half the radiators not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have been fighting with the central heating system since a week before christmas and am at my wits end.

i have a potterton suprima boiler which supplies both hot water and heating. this was fitted in sept last year along with a new pump, timeswitch and a small silver box on the same pipe as the pump. hot water is fine. there are two loops one runs from the boiler into the small bedroom down to the bathroom the back to boiler, the second loop tees out of the first and supplies the two other bedrooms and the two downstairs radiators.

i noticed one of the upstairs radiators was leaking from the thermo valve, so the system was drained, the valve fixed and the system refilled & bled

now i have warm radiators upstairs cold radiators downstairs, i have bled the radiators daily for over a week. i have also tried draining the system again and starting from scratch in case of an airlock.

but the problem remains, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
when i refilled the system i left all rad vents open
locked off downstairts as hissing stopped
then locked off upstairs rads again when hissing stopped
then bled the pump by loosening the centre screw
water dripped from the middle so prefummed ok

do not know what the diverter is
i do not know what the air bleed is
what do these look like?
is there something else i should have bled?

Sponsored Links
silver box has lever underneath it

should i move it?

and sorry to sound like a dummy but
brass cep is this an abbrievation ?

i hooked it open in the manual open position

i have found a brass pipe with a screw end cap half way up the
hot water tank which is above the boiler

if i loosen this nut off with a screwdriver i have water no air

1st check the pump is acually running undo the screw again and put a small screwdriver in the hole and see if the shaft is turning :)

yes i have removed the central brass nut and i can see the pump spinning when i look down the hole and water is coming out

ok ive done that

i guess we trying to force the hot water down to the cold rads

and now we wait to see if thay get hot

well i left the upstairs rad valves off last night for 3-4 hours with the diverter locked in the the manual open postition. there was lots of gurgling and banging from the boiler cupboard and lots of hissing and popping from the loft.

but all rads stayed cold

i turned it off via the room stat when i turned in for the night and tried again this morning, still nothing

i have turned the thermo valves back on upstairs and the rads up there are warming back up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back