Half-tiled wall meets laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is usual to have skirting where a half-tiled wall meets laminate flooring?
In one of the 2 rooms only 2 walls will be half tiled with the other two having skirting.
I've got some wooden trim, should that fix to the tiles to allow the laminate flooring to expand?

Should the bottom row of tiles be fixed a bit up from the floor to allow the laminate to go underneath?
Should I do the floor before the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Personally, when tiling a wall, if the floor is tiled then I do the floor first and then tile the wall down to be 2mm above the finished floor height. That way you can apply silicone to the gap and have a really neat finish.

On the other hand, laminate flooring needs an expansion gap, so you can't use silicone, but the gap is usually covered up by those otherwise extraordinarily unnecessary bits of beading, so in the special case of laminate you have a choice of going under (to avoid the beading) or butting up.

If it's a moist area then my concern would be that condensation on the tiles is inevitable, therefore so is the evantual forming of a mouldy gungy mess where the silicone would normally be.

What rooms are you tiling?

Softus said:
What rooms are you tiling?

Sorry, been away on holiday...

I'm doing 2 rooms; the main bathroom and ensuite.
Its aqualoc water resistant laminate from B&Q.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back