Halogen bulbs keep going off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to be spending all my time running round replacing halogen bulbs at the moment, G9, G4 and MR16. I put a new one in and within a few weeks it goes off again. I'm not even convinced they are blown as sometimes they come back on after a poke, although usually not. Is it cos I'm buying cheap ones off eBay perhaps? Can't afford to buy expensive ones if they keep blowing at this rate.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I believe it as I have never had a problem, but it is said that if you handle the glass envelope when replacing these lamps that grease from your fingers is enough to reduce their life span. If you think it may be a connection problem then apply some de-oxit or similar product to the pins when you replace them. It may well be the cheap lamps you are using, but they should still have a reasonable number of hours use guarantee.

Sorry don't know for sure , only ever used de-oxit which seems to stay in place for a long time, not sure contact cleaner would.

Sponsored Links
Buy cheap buy twice.

I've got mr16s in my bathroom. I've had to replace 1 lamp in 10 years.

Stick with a well known brand such as osram or sylvania.

A soft start dimmer will also help extend lamp life.

I wondered about asking this question.

I have some 12v G4 lamps 10 and 20w in the kitchen and bathroom that need replacing every few weeks.

I have some G9 230v in the study that have been in over a year, and some MR16s that have been in for about 4 years, neither have been replaced.

Wonder if my guy who gets 50pence per lamp for G4s is false economy? :confused: Although they are branded Eagle, which we used to use when I work in a pro theatre...

Yes it's false economy.

Never heard of eagle, and I've worked in plenty of pro theatres.

Stick with a well known brand such as osram or sylvania.

A soft start dimmer will also help extend lamp life.

Oooh, Oooh, Rob, you've given me the long-awaited opportunity to put my well-worn Osram hat on again!!

I swear by Osram lamps and like their halotronic transformers too.

My mum has some SELV lighting installed in 1991 and there are still some original Thorn open dichroics working, but the silvering is starting to come off.

Do you think I can take them back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back