Halogen lights in kitchen - how best to wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are planning to install 12 GU10 50W mains voltage in our kitchen.

I plan to install them in sets of 3, each controlled by its own dimmer switch (so i can turn the lights down low so the kids can't ask what hideous food i've just served them).

I would like to get all 4 dimmers on one unit - is this possible and if so, any recommendations for which dimmer unit? Does the power rating of the dimmer need to be 1200W (ie double the 600W rating of all 12 lights)?

Can i connect the 3 lights in each set in a daisy chain fashion, using choc blocs? All the lights are double insulated so should i just use two core cable for this?

sorry, basic questions, but i would hate to mess it up!

All advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
flyinghaddock said:
I would like to get all 4 dimmers on one unit - is this possible and if so, any recommendations for which dimmer unit? Does the power rating of the dimmer need to be 1200W (ie double the 600W rating of all 12 lights)?

A dimmer rated at 250W will be fine as each dimmer will only be switching 150W. The dimmer is rated per switch, not total dimming per plate.

I would recommend this switch or if you want to go really posh This one

Can i connect the 3 lights in each set in a daisy chain fashion, using choc blocs?

Yes but the choc blocks must be enclosed within something, such as a Chocbox Connector Cover

All the lights are double insulated so should i just use two core cable for this?

You should use twin and earth, and connect all the earths incase class 1 fittings are installed at a later date.

Hope this helps

RF, i could kiss you!
Really useful response. i did not even know that those chocblock covers existed!
I love the posh dimmer switch - do they have a tendency to be temperamental?
Thanks a lot.

I have the one gang version fitted at home (and I beleive Crafty1289 has too). So far touch wood no problems whatsoever.

Sponsored Links
yes, its a nice bit of kit. got the blue button on the sky remotes programmed to control it too :LOL:

something to bear in mind. Add up the total wattage of all lights on the same lighting circuit. A 6 amp MCB can take 1380 watts - so i would say dont put any more than 1500w on it. if you have 10a MCBs for lighting, 2300w is the maximum load. but i would never exceed this in case some dolt has only wired it in 1.0mm².

I'm well impressed that you have overcome your natural disability and managed to wire up your lighting. So, come on, tell us. How do you use a screwdriver with fins? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back