Halogen to LED Dimmers

Sponsored Links
But heat generated electrically is three times the cost of gas. So not really money saving.
The phrase is Energy Saving and they are not Energy Saving, the use of non tungsten bulbs in doors in Winter may save money when the heating is not electric, and they do save maintenance, however they don't save energy in most houses, there are I am sure exceptions, but the mixture of inferred and convected heat gives one the best of both, convected heat can be controlled with a simple thermostat, and inferred does not heat the air so the heat is not lost with air changes, however it will pass through glass, so during the day the inferred heat can be lost to the outside, but at night with the curtains draw it stays in the house, so we only want to use inferred heating at night when the room is in use. Best option is the have inferred heaters connected to lighting, then it comes on when it does most good.

Call the bulbs maintenance saving that's true, even claim they save money that is possible if not using electric heating, but LED and CFL bulbs only safe energy in the summer and outside, or when some one has gone OTT with the amount of lighting. MR16 down lighters is a good example of OTT lighting.

So should we go back to gas lamps then?
An interesting idea, I know I miss the gas lights in the caravan, they warmed the caravan as well as giving out a very good light, the problem was the mantel would often break when moving, and if you lit the lamp with a broken mantel it was not long and you also had a broken light diffuser as well. They had a built in dimmer knob and far easier to renew the gas cylinder than to remove the battery and take it for charging. But alas today gas lamps, and also carbide lamps on our bikes have gone.

The gas lamp, like the tungsten lamp, caused the air to circulate and the ceiling above them needed painting quite regular as the dust coloured the paint, however there was also another source of smoke, pipes, cigars and cigarettes also caused the ceiling to yellow, and this was even so it did not show up in the same way until you tried to wash it.

We still have gas cookers, and these today have electric ignition so I suppose one could have the same with gas lights, one could also today include sensors to switch it off should a mantel break. OK there is a danger associated with gas lights, but there is also a danger associated with gas cookers and we still have them. With the modern induction hob there is very little advantage in having gas cookers, and yet we still have them, so why not gas lights.

Maybe we can bring back some of the other fuels now, since we have much more control, the tilly lamp was a pain to light, but with electric we could include electric heaters to automate the lighting?

Good as all this seems, it would be high maintenance, and this is why I am now all LED lighting, I think LED lighting is great, however it does not really save energy, if you are changing so you don't need to change a bulb every other week great, if you want to remove the ambience when dimming the light becomes redder then great, but if you want to save energy then think again, they may save money if your heating is gas, but you don't get gas from renewables so energy wise save the planet idea, then no the tungsten was better.

OP
I suggest you look at the
Varilight V-Pro if you are looking for an LED compatible dimmer

CLICK ME

Hi, I did get the Varilight dimmer eventually and fitted.
When 5 bulb light was fully on, LEDs OK but you start to Dim and one of the LEDs' go out....dim a bit more and the next one starts to flicker then goes out.

PS Ericmark, not really wanting lights for heating or to use tungsten lamps etc.

Sponsored Links
Can not see if you told us what lamps your using, not all Led lamps are dimmable and even the ones that state they are dimmable dont always dim with any Led dimmer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back