Halstead boiler microswitch

PJ1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!! Is there anyone out there that knows where I can buy a replacement microswitch as in the DHW Flowswitch assembly for a Halstead High Ace boiler?
Yes, you can buy the 'Assembly' (the switch in a plastic shroud) for £25+, but the bit you need, the inner switch is probably worth about 20p...if you can find one!
It's a 'Bitron S10'switch, but Google has failed me! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Isn't this a standard V3 microswitch available from Maplins at about £1.39 ?

I dont know where you get your 20p from ! Microswitches have silver contacts which cost real money!

It did not take me long to find:-

http://www.bitron-micro.com/

Tony

Thanks Agile,
I did manage to find Bitron myself, but only the parent company in Italy - and I don't think they'd be willing to send me a switch, even @ £2.00:)
I'd forgotten about Maplins, cheers! I have also found another supplier of useful bits with nationwide branches & web:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/
Thanks again for the help.

PJ

Hi PJ1! Just thought I'd ask what make and type of micro switch you used in place of the Bitron S10 on your 'ace high' and where you purchased it from.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mandate,
In the end I didn't replace the switch. Although they were available from the link I included last time - the store is/was at Stockport. The metal actuator arm looked longer on the replacement, but I reckoned I could have swapped that for the original without much grief.
The source of the problem was the plunger arrangement (on the other end to the diaphragm) of the diverter valve which operates the switch - it was passing a very small amount of water through its seals and off the end of the plunger into the plastic housing of the switch and, the way the housing was tipped caused some small droplets to get into the switch (almost looked like condensation).
I got a servicing kit for the valve and diaphragm assembly (not overly expensive, and honestly easy DIY stuff - if you need to take it to bits though, it has a couple of springs which like to ping out - you get replacements, but you don't quite know how they go!).
Once that was serviced, with switch removed, I dried it out, added a v.light squirt of WD40 into the switch and clicked it loads of times and found my multimeter checked out the switch to be 'making and breaking' just fine.
Put it all back together and it's been fine ever since..........
:idea: Be aware, if you take off the valve, it will drain the heat exchanger above! Depress the pressure relief valve to drain it all off first!!

Hi PJ1! Thanks for the response. Knowing micro switches are at some stage likely to fail, I thought a couple of spares would be a good investment.
I've noted the specification of the bitron S10 so just need to check others to match the specification. Sizewise the standard V3 is OK.

I had the 'no hot water' problem about a year ago. A perished diaphram was replaced which cured it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back