Halstead Finest Platinum Boiler - Red LED on and off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a Halstead Platinum boiler. The red LED light has been coming on and off intermittantly now for a few weeks. I've had two visits from British Gas.

First engineer replaced the thermistor as the boiler diagnostics indicated "Defective DHW Sensor". This did not fix the problem, red LED light was back on about 10 mins after him leaving.

Second engineer said it looked like a loose connection and supposedly pushed some connector back in. 30 mins after he left red LED was back on.

What I have found is that when the red LED light comes on and I open up the fornt of the boiler and move pretty much any wire the red LED goes off.

Any ideas?

IMG_3120.JPG
IMG_3121.JPG

Sponsored Links
If it's connected on the wiring harness it could be a loose or damaged wire somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. How would I go about finding that? Should I replace the low voltage loom and/or PCB? Thanks

If it's working normally whenever the red led is on or off it could be the red led or its wiring that's faulty

@sircerebus666 Sorry I miread your message. It does not work when the light is RED. Works like a dream when the light is blue.

Last edited:
Ah ok , you are going to have to test every wire to see if one has a break in it (I would start with the thermistor wire) check all the wire connections too

Not sure how I would do that. Also, if I wired had a break in it would the red LED not be on all the time?

Not sure how I would do that. Also, if I wired had a break in it would the red LED not be on all the time?

Not necessarily , the vibrations of the boiler could be causing a faulty wire to break and make contact , the problem could be a faulty component , a dry solder on a PCB board or dodgy connection on a PCB board.

This is all guesses however..... Because you say you can fix it by moving any wire it does indicate a faulty wire or connection

You use a multi meter to test wires , if you're not confident in fault finding I would call back BG and tell them they didn't fix it and insist they properly check it all over this time (for free if youre paying)

Thanks @sircerebus666 I'll give it a go myself. The vibration thing does make sense. I will probably go back to BG evenutally, but they won't come out at the moment (COVID-19) as the probelm is only intermittent.

Hope you find it, intermittent faults are a bitch to fix cause the fault never occurs when you're trying to find it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back