Hammer Fixings, setting blocks and Packers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellow DIY'ers/ Experts

Wonder if you can help. I have been looking through the archives here and searching on the internet to find information on the basics of installing upvc windows and doors.

Perhaps my questions are too basic for this forum, but I am genuinely in need of help.

My questions are:

1. I have Hammer fixings. Do the plastic plugs go through the frame and wall or just the wall? Can I just hammer them in?

2. I also have separate 100mm screws with treading all the way along the screw. A double glazing company said that these could be used without plugs (straight through the frame and into the wall). Is this true?

3. I have black bridge packers and basic green 1mm packers. Do the bridge packers need to go along the whole length of the bottom of the frame or just in the corners?

4. Frames have been bought with separate glass/ panels. Do I need special setting blocks at the bottom/ side of the frame and are these different to bridge packers and spacers?

Would really appreciate your help even if you can only answer one or two of the questions ;) .

Many Thanks

Regards from a desperate damsel in distress :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi

In relation to your questions:

1. Hammer Fixings go through the frame and wall. You might be better with 125 or 150mm long.

2. Yes, this is true. Some of our fitters use them successfully.

3. Bridge Packers are designed for sitting in the drainage channel at the bottom of the frame, so that water can travel under the packer successfully and escape through drainage holes. You will need a selection of other packers when fitting such as 2mm and 5mm packers for use when packing between the glass and frames, and also when fixing between the frame and brickwork.

4. No you only need bridge packers and normal packers (but a good selection of depths will be useful to you).

If you have side opening windows or doors to fit, then when packing the glass you will need to toe and heel the units - not easy. Ask the company you are buying the frames from how to do this.

Hope this helps.

For more info
************* Advertising link removed Rupert *************
Thanks

Hi there

Thank you so much for the information. It has been a great help and I feel a lot happier :LOL: .

We are currently installing the windows and doors and yes they are side opening, so will need to Toe and Heel - Thanks for the tip.

I am installing them in the Caribbean and access to items such as extra packers is difficult, but we cope by using numerous of the 1mm's, but I guess they will run out :unsure:..

Any idea what I could use if they do?

Once again. I really appreciate your answers.

Thanks from a not so distressed damsel. :)

If you're in the Caribbean, I'll nip some over :D

Otherwise, I've used upvc strips (architraves) and cut them down to the same size as packers. Not sure if you can get hold of stuff like that.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I bought some of fleabay. Just type in "UPVC packers" in search bar.
Theres one seller by the name of "ace-mirrors" who sends them world wide. Good luck.

Thank you both Conservatorytv and Tomos. Will try the architrave option first. Post in this part of the Caribbean takes for ever and a day.. :rolleyes:

Many Thanks again regards
Twin2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back