Hammerite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old metal bowser water carrier which I found covered in rust and had been used as an incinerator. I cleaned it up and used Hammerite Rust Beater, then coated it with a Little Green exterior wood/metal eggshell.

It's held up well for about 5 years but needs a recoat. I have touched up a bit of the rust and the inside with Rust Beater and it adhers like glue so would there be a problem with coating the whole thing with Hammerite Ultima over the eggshell and the Rust Beater ?

Sponsored Links
The thing about rust is that it’s in the metal itself and not the paint. Around 5 years ago I stripped 86 year old cast iron pipes back to bare metal, painted with Hammerite primer for rust paint - can’t remember exactly which one - then painted with Leyland exterior white paint for metal. Most of the work is still good now except for one patch. That’s because I didn’t fully remove all the rust on that patch because it was too hard to reach. Sure you can paint over and it will stay good for a few years but soon enough it’ll come back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back