Hand nerve injury

Sponsored Links
What is a digital nerve injury and what have you done to get one?

Sponsored Links
Carpal tunnel syndrome. Pretty sure it's what I have, fine most of the time then f*** me, pain in the wrist.
Carpal tunnel(syndrome) affects the sensory and motor functions in the thumb, fore and second fingers, and the ring finger somewhat. That's because the radial nerve goes through a restricted passage under some cartilage in/near your wrist, which is called the Carpal tunnel.
If your little finger - and ring finger a bit - go numb it's the ulnar nerve, which doesn't go through the C.tunnel so is more likely squished in your elbow or above..

Local injury will affect only the downstream bit of nerve, ie maybe one finger. If you have a cut or similar, act quick because nerves aren't all that good at joining up again if they get cut. They can be stitched back together and rejoin the connections.
Carpal tunnel compression of the nerves which make your fingers go dead, doesn't afaik cause pain in the wrist, so go see a doc, sounds like you could have summat swelling in your wrist which is squishing a nerve, - if you have numb thumb etc.
It can be quite a small operation to relieve restrictions from bits of cartilage. You can grow lumps which get in the way and need cutting off, too. Forgotten the word for those - spondules or something.

I know little bits of anatomy, where mine's giving trouble ;)

Yes I cut the nerve on the way to the left hand side of my index finger. The have stitched it together

Between none and the rest of your life. Depends how motivated you are. What did your doc say?

Carpal tunnel(syndrome) affects the sensory and motor functions in the thumb, fore and second fingers, and the ring finger somewhat. That's because the radial nerve goes through a restricted passage under some cartilage in/near your wrist, which is called the Carpal tunnel.

I think I might have once had that after the sh*t bags at Chiswick police station once accused me of putting a traffic cone in the road and hand cuffed me. Unlike the movies, they didn't help me to get in the back of the Astra. They just kept shouting at me to get in to the back of the car- which is pretty difficult to do when your hands are cuffed behind your back. As I slumped in to the back of the car, the cuffs became tighter.

I did ask them to pull over to release them slightly. Their response was that I deserved it for leaving a traffic cone in the road. I explained that I had no idea what they were talking about. When we got the police station, they knowingly left me in pain. When it came to removing the cuffs, I (politely) asked them if they could release my right wrist first- they decided to do my let wrist first.

For about 10 days after I kept dropping things such as cups. The sensation was similar to an electrical shock that jerks the muscles in your hand.

I did go to see my GP, it was locum. He told me that he had worked as a doctor at Wandsworth prison and witnessed similar symptoms once the old bill moved over to the fixed cuffs. He asked me to make an official complaint. I spoke to a free lawyer who asked if I had consumed any alcohol. I explained that I had, and that I was sitting in a cab office, silently waiting for a cab when the police walked in and asked if anyone knew anything about the traffic cone. His advice was that a jury would believe the police rather than me.

I spent 3 hours in a cell. I did ask to see a doctor. They refused to let me. I spoke to the duty lawyer (over a phone) and his response was "they well let you out soon". He told me that I was being held for being drunk and disorderly. I had to tell him that I had been arrested for putting a traffic cone in the road, and that I was sitting waiting for a cab when arrested for putting a cone in the road. He didn't care a jot.

Sorry, I am not intentionally hijacking this thread but I believe that I have experienced a similar sensation because of bully boy policemen that believe that they are above the law.

Yes that's the scumbags we have as plods. Corrupt, close ranks,..... TBH I've heard a lot and felt a bit of it, so hearing one isn't alone does help!

Yes you can certainly get a temporary Carpal tunnel type aggravation. You can get it from "sleeping funny" too. Funny things, nerves. Look up myelin sheaths, nodes of ranvier, saltatory conduction, afferent and efferent neurons. You have sensory and motor nerves which run separately - dig into google for the anatomy., so it depends what got cut. Of course you can't feel the motor nerves whatsoever., only the sensory ones. YOu will have had some blood flow "insult" too, but that re-establishes pretty quickly.

CTS - Google will show you hand movements which exacerbate it. Don't try them though because the effect lasts! The electric shock sensation sounds right. I drop cups etc which never used to happen. Not looking forward to getting hands cold in the winter.

Tomsin I daresay your tingles will come and go for a year or two.
I had some surface nerves damaged in an op with a big opening, which took probably 3 years to stop niggling, and it's still a bit numb. They don't try to mend those though.
Younger is better, apparently! I did meet someone young who kept slashing her wrists because the evil soc services wouldn't let her keep her kids. Apparently me saying "well what do you expect, you .... ....", wasn't the right thing. Evidently the nerves can be repaired several times..

Thanks do you know anyone that has had one of these small nerves repaired in there hand?

Sponsored Links
Back