Hand Rail HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have to fit a hand rail onto the wall of venerable relatives stair there is an existing banister but age demands that two rails are requird . the job it's self is not a problem what the problem the house is so old and the bricks are made with sand and water and crumble if drilled ,i could not safely rely on raw plugs into the brick . I intended to use a board with hand rail brackets and a round pole rail . any ides how i can fix it so it safe and can be trusted not to fail should it be put under weight .

Sponsored Links
you might try with injection resin this will stabilize lose/crumbly materials
Salute
MINDEX

I've used Fischer Wet N Fix in the past for a similar project on similar walls. Last did these about 4 years ago, and they have stood the test of time inflicted by our 5 kids who love to swing on them!
Though I would also agree with the previous posters comments about Resin fix kits - Use these personally on outdoor stuff with no issues either.

Neither brick nor block is fabricated from sand and water only. Perhaps you are merely drilling into a mortar bed or a deep plaster/render of S&C. Further destructive investigation is required to reveal the surface of the background. Only plug and fix to masonry.

With respect to the other posters, if i was doing a paid job then no-way would i rely on "glue" ( unless an epoxy mix in special situations with particular backgrounds) to secure a hand rail.

Sponsored Links
HI

The Sand and water was a figure of speech , the bricks are old and have little substance , the old plaster is not being used to fix to but the brick However because of there porous nature I don't want to rely totally on the raw plugs , As use and weight will in time work them loose . resin according to 3M will if used correctly prevent this along with a mechanical fixing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back