Hand saw for cutting blocks/bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does one exist? I tend to work past 10pm some nights on my personal projects however making noise is the thing that holds me back. Is there a hacksaw/handsaw tool available for cutting blocks or bricks? It would be nice if so but im guessing you cant cut that density without some kinda of high rpm tool.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
any cheap contractor saw will do for block - they just wear out.

proper brick needs a masonry chisel

You can cut some soft bricks with a tungsten tipped saw which is used for cutting aerated blocks, but you wont be doing more than two before your arm falls off.

You need to get up earlier and finish earlier

Can you pre cut your bricks? That's what I do when I know I want to go in to the evening.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. It was just a fleeting thought. The rest of the blockwork can be quite quiet other than the block cutting. Im doing jobs for other people during the day or looking after my son so its really just a temporary thing for my own building projects. It would be great if you could buy precut blocks also. It seems my circular saw has a tendancy to snap back at me if I try and cut slowly... If I go for it then it cuts no problem at all.

It would be great if you could buy precut blocks
You can but you need to order an artic at a time :D
It seems my circular saw has a tendancy to snap back at me if I try and cut slowly... If I go for it then it cuts no problem at all.
You must be twisting the saw and causing it to bind.
Are you using a circular saw or an angle grinder?

I think your right. Its a 9inch grinder with steel cutting disc attached. It was only £50 or so off ebay and has paid for itself with the amount of work done. Do you guys cut blocks laid on the floor or put them on a surface thats waist height?

Thats useful to know they do precut blocks. If I ever have a job thats big enough to warrant getting them i'll bear it in mind.

Bet it's a diamond blade.

The brickyard that I use can split a brick quick and neat with his brick hammer. I'm pretty good at smashing them to bits with the same hammer.

Yep its a diamond blade, sorry I should of made that clearer. I have a bolster chisel I bought forra quid from a car boot sale. I score a brick all the way round with the corner of the bolster chisel then use the chisel and a hammer on the larger face of the brick to make the cut. Ive cut a few bricks this way no hassle but its the blocks that arent so easy this way. I wonder if those block paving splitters would work on bricks or blocks also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back