Hand tool storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've amassed a few hand tools now. My tool tote is full and I often need to empty stuff to find what I want.

I think that having my hand tools hung up on display and then putting them into my tote when I need them is a better idea. This will save me hassle when I need only a few tools for a job around the house.

I know in America, pegboards are the way to go. Is there anything else that might be something to consider?

Sponsored Links
sheet of mdf, some nails, some white paint, some black paint.
A label machine.

:)

Or how about one of those expensive multi drawer cabinets that you can cram so full of tools you cannot open them or ever find the particular tool your looking for?

Another tote? A bigger tote?
Separate tool bags depending on the job type your going to do?
Like one for plumbing, one for electrics, one for door/locks ec.
That way you also get to go buy more common tools so you have one in each bag :)

You've been able to get pegboard here since Noah was a lad, just not in B&Q (?), whilst Terry clips have been around since I was an apprentice (so a similar time to Noah's formative years.....)

I use bisley A4 drawers. I find being small and shallow you can keep a drawer for one specific type of item, be it spanners, screw drivers, router cutters drill bits, screw bits etc etc.

I then have festool sortainers which I will set up depending on the job I'm going to.

I also have a couple of festool tote boxes. I find bags and deep tool boxes get filled with muck and rubbish aside from the fact it's not always easy to find what you want without tipping it a over the bench. Shallow drawers allow a clear line of sight.

I've never paid more than £20 for second hand bisley cabinets so don't be looking at anything on eBay with "vintage" in the title, it'll sell for more than it's worth.

The sortainers came from Mastool around £70 each.

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_120406075.jpg
    IMG_20180504_120406075.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 362
Sponsored Links
Thought I'd add, two of the £20 turbogold selection boxes from Screwfix fit perfectly in one bisley shallow drawer.

However festool sell (surprise surprise) pots for their sortainers at £20 a drawers worth.

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_125006334.jpg
    IMG_20180504_125006334.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20180504_125137425.jpg
    IMG_20180504_125137425.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 339
Thanks for the suggestions.
sheet of mdf, some nails, some white paint, some black paint.
That was one of the thoughts I had but figured pegboard screwed to the wall might be easier given the pre-existing holes.

Another tote? A bigger tote?
Separate tool bags depending on the job type your going to do?
Like one for plumbing, one for electrics, one for door/locks ec.
That way you also get to go buy more common tools so you have one in each bag :)
This would only ever be for DIY around the house. The only way in or out of the garage is through the front garage door so having one bag and being able to load it up as required would be easier than lots of tools and lots of bags and trying to work out which one I needed.

You've been able to get pegboard here since Noah was a lad, just not in B&Q (?), whilst Terry clips have been around since I was an apprentice (so a similar time to Noah's formative years.....)
I only just found out you can get metal pegboards :eek:

I also have a couple of festool tote boxes. I find bags and deep tool boxes get filled with muck and rubbish aside from the fact it's not always easy to find what you want without tipping it a over the bench.
Which is what I'm trying to avoid. I think drawers might be useful for screws etc. But I'd like to be able to see the tools I want without having to rummage.
My socket set comes with spanners and all fits in the plastic case it came in. My other tools are things like hammers, saws, hacksaws, screwdrivers, mole grips, etc. I bought some boltless shelving for stuff like the jigsaw, drill driver, impact driver etc since they're in cases.[/QUOTE]

I suppose it's down to how much you're trying to store.

Blow-mold cases such as those for socket sets go straight in the bin. They should be banned if you ask me, nothing but a drain on the earth for rubbish no one needs. Old steel socket vases were much nicer to keep, maintain and look at but everything has its cost.

I use drawers because of the amount of stuff I have to store. Cases such as those take up valuable space. Wall mounting isn't an option for me either because I have shelving and other things hanging from the walls in my garage.

I'm yet to find a more pleasing solution to what I've mentioned with shallow drawers and I've tried a few.

As for power tools most of what I've bought comes in Makpac type systainers which are kept in the house, everything else goes in one of several site boxes I keep. Thieves everywhere.

I completely forgot about my bisley drawers.

full

Rescued from down in the damp cellar, given a new top, locking wheels and a locking bar to stop the thieving barstewards at work from pinching my tools. (The bar to go down through the slot and handles is hanging on the bolt on the front right).

Also the tool rack I made for my bench tools - which now has almost twice that amount chucked on it :)

My garage has about half a dozen bisley a4 style draw cabinets all down one side, painted red to match my mechanics type tool chests- I work on old bikes and the garage isn't wide enough without the drawers for my car anyway
I do have a sheet of 8x4 pegboard and a load of plastic hooks that I bought at great expense pre ebay
Lidl or aldi often have a system advertised

Aldi currently have a storage system, 2 boards with tubs and tool holders. All plastic mind you.
If you want it to last then your probably better off making a bespoke one with pegboard over MDF and big nails/screws or even dowels.

I remember that thread - yes a very clever solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back